Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I realized that when the iphone (running iOS5) is locked, the“Slide to Call” allows anyone to make an outgoing call to the missed calls from a locked phone (with passcode). This may allow malicious and unwanted calls to be made from a locked phone by anyone having access to the phone and defeats the purpose of having the phone locked by a passcode.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice feature for people who don't care about locking their phone, but I believe there should be an option to disable the “slide to call” or at least require password before allowing the outgoing call to go through.

At this point the only option that I see is to disable the phone related notifications from lock screen, which prevents all phone related notifications to be displayed on lock screen (missed or voicemail). This is not a desired solution.....

This is the first time in the history of iOSes, that a user can make outgoing calls from a locked phone with a passcode. Even the voice commands (for dialling a number) have option to be disabled on locked screen.

I was wondering if anybody else feels the same way about this? or have a solution?

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Where are you seeing a "Slide to Call" box? On my 4S only emergency calls can be made (i.e. to 911) when the phone is locked, and that's by touching the button on the lower left of the passcode screen. I just tried calling a non-emergency number and it will not allow it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Change the Required Passcode delay to Immediately and you will always have to enter the passcode to get back into your phone for any function. Right now your delay is longer than your auto lock delay.

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
1. Phone is locked with passcode
2. you miss a call from someone (but no voicemail is left)
3. the missed call notification appears on the lock screen
4. slide the missed call icon to right and it will dial the number without requiring to enter password...

[I am concerned that people finding someone's phone with missed call can keep calling those numbers...that's what happened to me when i left my phone at my friend's house yesterday... people were prank calling the missed call numbers from my locked phone!!!!]

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
4. slide the missed call icon to right and it will dial the number without requiring to enter password...

[I am concerned that people finding someone's phone with missed call can keep calling those numbers...that's what happened to me when i left my phone at my friend's house yesterday... people were prank calling the missed call numbers from my locked phone!!!!]

There is no way to disable this other than hiding missed call notifications on your home screen. Since you can only call out to numbers you missed, I don't really see it as a big deal.

However, it sounds like you shouldn't be leaving your phone around with your friends...

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Based on my yesterday's experience, to me it is a big issue since it caused a lot of embarrassment on my behalf but I hope they will make this feature optional to prevent similar kind of events... but meanwhile i have learned my lesson and I am more protective of my phone now!

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011

This only happens if you do #4 before the auto-lock timeout. My phone it's set to 15 min. So if the phone has not been used for more than 15 it asks for the pin when you slide the missed call icon.

You can set you lock timeout to immediate or something low like 1 min.

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
This only happens if you do #4 before the auto-lock timeout. My phone it's set to 15 min. So if the phone has not been used for more than 15 it asks for the pin when you slide the missed call icon.

You can set you lock timeout to immediate or something low like 1 min.

My setting is on "require passcode immediately".
Before I do a "slide o call" on missed calls I try to make sure that the phone requires a passcode... so I am definitely sure in my case the phone is locked by passcode. I m using an iphone 3gs...

what is your phone? can you please try again on yours? i am more concerned now that yours is acting different....

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Go to the Notifications in the Settings, Select Phone, turn off "View in Lock Screen"

Doing that will disable all the missed call and voicemail notification from lock screen...I will never know if someone has called or left a voicemail unless i unlock my phone and look at the badges on the phone icon...

i agree at the moment this is the only option if someone is concerned about this issue...but needs to be addressed some other way...

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Based on my yesterday's experience, to me it is a big issue since it caused a lot of embarrassment on my behalf but I hope they will make this feature optional to prevent similar kind of events... but meanwhile i have learned my lesson and I am more protective of my phone now!

What was the experience?

BBQXXX

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Colorado
The phone didn't cause embarrassment. Your friends did. Sounds like you need to get some more mature friends...

IcyStorm

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
You guys tell the OP that his friends need to be mature and all that, but it doesn't fix the issue. I believe this is a genuine concern that needs to be rectified in a future update.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Hate to tell you this, but if your friends do this, they don't respect you. You might want to have a talk with them.

My friends wouldn't do this, and if one did, I'd have to seriously question their friend status.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Think of what they'll do if you leave your Facebook account open. After all what are friends for if not the occasional prank?
sharpie.jpg

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I understand the friends part of it. Ok they are not good friends.....let's give that a rest...this is a tech forum and the topic is not “how to find good friends” or “how to tell If your friends our mature”....

let's be more constructive to identify issues and make sure that they get addressed. We are here for that reason.

Again the main issue is that phone allows outgoing call to be made when the phone is locked....

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
barbmac is right about this. I have my passcode set to "immediate" and if I slide the phone icon of a missed call it dials the number, there is no password prompt like the other guy said, so not sure where he got that from.

I can definitely see this being a problem, it could also cause accidental calls from the phone. Well spotted barbmac this needs to be fixed.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
im pretty sure apple will fix this. if youre disappointed or embarrassed, go buy a different phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
It is, and im certain itll be addressed and fixed.

Why are you so certain? Has Apple notified you that they are aware of the problem and working on it? Apple doesn't always fix things that users aren't happy with.

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
im pretty sure apple will fix this. if youre disappointed or embarrassed, go buy a different phone.

You should understand that the products get mature and complete with the constructive feedback of its users. If Apple knew about this then we wouldn't be talking about it now. That's why the product goes through developer testing for months then through users...and different iterations come out based on the issues/concerns discovered...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.