Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Go to preferences/Photo Stream in iPhoto to make sure it is enabled. Then under Recently Imported there should be an item for Photo Stream, click that and it will show your Photo Stream photos. But be warned it isn't always working. On one of my Macs it works perfectly and on the other, for reasons I do not know yet, I cannot get the Photo Stream to show, the album is there, but the Photos are not being shown.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
open iPhoto> look at left side> there is a photo stream tab after you activate it in preferences :cool: (might take SOME seconds before it activates and gives you photos the first time)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 91,415

keith-l

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I have Photostream turned on on my phone and Mac, but can't figure out where the pictures are on my Mac.

Sometimes, like in my case I wanted the actual source files. They in the "iPhoto Library". In case you don't know how to get to these files, read on...

Go to [user account] > Pictures > iPhoto Library (right click and select "Show Package Contents"

To see the full res files select Masters. From here you will have to locate the relevant pictures by date. COPY them to another location as may not want to remove them from iPhoto.

Hope that's useful

trellaine

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
What a joke? I have to shell out another $15 to update iphoto for that ONE stream???

Gosh all these things they don't tell u!

:rolleyes:

kmik05

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
so, I have iPhoto on my computer, and in preferences photostream is grayed out and it says it needs an update. My software updater shows others, but not iPhoto, and if I go to the app store, it says I didn't buy it from there, but if I want to I can. I've got iPhoto 8.1.2... do I need to pay for a new version?

eta... nvm, when I went back in a second time it installed... didn't ask me for a payment, maybe it just charged my card on file.

Last edited:

khanhvinhct

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
I have same problem, and i just saw this in apple website:
"To use Photo Stream, you need to sign up for iCloud with an Apple ID, and you need to update your devices with the following software:
-iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.1 or later
-Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.3 and iPhoto 9.2.2 or Aperture 3.2.3 or later"
So if you don't have Mac with OS X Lion, you can never find it, last upgrade i can find now on my Mac is 10.6.8, not 10.7.3!

mayagayam

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
VA
Exactly what I needed!

Hi Keith-l - this helped me, exactly what I needed! Thanks!

Maya

Sometimes, like in my case I wanted the actual source files. They in the "iPhoto Library". In case you don't know how to get to these files, read on...

Go to [user account] > Pictures > iPhoto Library (right click and select "Show Package Contents"

To see the full res files select Masters. From here you will have to locate the relevant pictures by date. COPY them to another location as may not want to remove them from iPhoto.

Hope that's useful

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
new to the macworld, been a iphone and ipad user for some time. Just got my pro yesterday and I can't seem to get this to work. Have the newest version, have all checks marked....any advice

Can't seem to get this to work is a bit vague. Have you logged in to iCloud on your devices and your Mac? Do you own iPhoto or Aperture? In iPhoto you have to enable photostream for photos to start showing up. You also have to enable photostream on each device for photos to start showing up.

When I take pics on my iPhone, they show up on my iPad 1 in mere seconds if I have both devices with me in range of wifi. I have to remember to start iPhoto once a week or so as photostream transfer to your Mac doesn't work unless you leave iPhoto running from time to time.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Just thought I'd add:

Using a saved Smart Folder
If you’re not a fan of iPhoto, fear not: There is another, slightly more complicated (but still totally easy), way to access your Photo Stream from your Mac.
Open Finder. C
Click “command,” “shift,” and “G” (⌘⇧G) all at the same time, which will bring up the “Go to folder” option in Finder.
Paste the following text into the “Go to folder” field: ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub. Hit “Enter.”
Click “command” and “F” (⌘F) together to bring up a new search interface.
At the top-left of the window, you should see two options after the word “Search”: “This Mac” and “sub.” Click “sub” to highlight it.
Underneath that line, you’ll see the word “Kind.” Leave that be. But in the next drop-down menu, change the type to “Image.” Another drop-down menu will appear. Change that one to “JPEG.” Now all your Photo Stream images will show up in the window. (There will probably be some other pictures in there as well. You can tell Photo Stream images because they will have a green check mark on the thumbnail.)
Finally, click the “Save” button on the right side, and name the Smart Folder whatever you like. (We’d go with “Photo Stream,” for simplicity’s sake.) Leave the “Add to sidebar” box checked for easy access in the Finder window. And you’re done!
(Smart Folder instructions via Ben Ward)

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...oud-photo-stream-from-your-mac/#ixzz2PZvjfMeJ

BOSremodeler

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Just thought I'd add:

Using a saved Smart Folder
If you’re not a fan of iPhoto, fear not: There is another, slightly more complicated (but still totally easy), way to access your Photo Stream from your Mac.
Open Finder. C
Click “command,” “shift,” and “G” (⌘⇧G) all at the same time, which will bring up the “Go to folder” option in Finder.
Paste the following text into the “Go to folder” field: ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub. Hit “Enter.”
Click “command” and “F” (⌘F) together to bring up a new search interface.
At the top-left of the window, you should see two options after the word “Search”: “This Mac” and “sub.” Click “sub” to highlight it.
Underneath that line, you’ll see the word “Kind.” Leave that be. But in the next drop-down menu, change the type to “Image.” Another drop-down menu will appear. Change that one to “JPEG.” Now all your Photo Stream images will show up in the window. (There will probably be some other pictures in there as well. You can tell Photo Stream images because they will have a green check mark on the thumbnail.)
Finally, click the “Save” button on the right side, and name the Smart Folder whatever you like. (We’d go with “Photo Stream,” for simplicity’s sake.) Leave the “Add to sidebar” box checked for easy access in the Finder window. And you’re done!
(Smart Folder instructions via Ben Ward)

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...oud-photo-stream-from-your-mac/#ixzz2PZvjfMeJ

you're just reposting info you found from another website. this does not work in OSX 10.6.8

as I said to the folks at http://www.digitaltrends.com, if its application specific, that really needs to be noted for anyone to find it useful.

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
So then my question is still, where the heck is the photostream file location? I don't want 9gb of images filling up my SSD!

I have my iphoto library migrated to a second disk already, but my primary disk just dropped 200mb and counting after I turned on photostream :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.