Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
For Mac and PC users, the battle lines are drawn, and a new ...




Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: For Mac and PC users, the battle lines are drawn, and a new operating system may fan the flames

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2
eva01
macrumors 601
 
eva01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gah! Plymouth
Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
i will say this, there is no way it is remotely close to red sox vs yankees. you don't see balmer being tossed to the ground by jobs (ala pedro knocking zimmer which was friggen hilarious to watch) and apple is in no way the yankees, because the yankees suck while apple doesn't.

anyways. yankees in the basement with the devil rays. Go Sox
__________________
If I go on a crazy non-sensical rant, it's the painkillers talking. If however I make perfect sense I take full credit.
eva01 is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Pyrix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Sorry, but since when were windows and mac 'incompatible'?

I open iTunes on my PC, I open iTunes on my mac. They can both see each other fine. They network fine. I can't think of many file formats on my PC i can't at least view on my mac. They even share the display sometimes, when i need more screen estate on the powerbook?

And what's that about automator - lots of little programs that do multitasking?

Journalists... who'd have them?

Ollie
__________________
Into the outdoors? GoXplore!
Pyrix is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Why you want a Mac
1. Software for dummies -- like you?

I'm not entirely sure who the dummy is here.

Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Fredo Viola
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
un-biased? No, not by a longshot

This was a pretty pc-biased article. No mention of the very affordable mac mini. Only one example of somebody trading sides and they are joining the dark side. And how about them pros for each side... unbelievable! I think this was written by somebody who has never used a Mac.
Fredo Viola is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 11:39 AM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Meh...more filler journalism. I did like this, though, about the Pepperdine woman:

Quote:
Her boyfriend owns a Toshiba laptop, she adds with a laugh, ''which looks like a plastic cow."
Plastic cow...hehehe....
__________________
Mohan
mkrishnan is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Nickygoat
macrumors 6502a
 
Nickygoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Meh...more filler journalism. I did like this, though, about the Pepperdine woman:



Plastic cow...hehehe....
That made me laugh too. And one of the reasons listed for buying Windows is that Bill G gives a lot to charity? Please.
Nickygoat is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8
James Philp
Registered User
 
James Philp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oxford/London
zzzzz zzzzz ...

What a load of rubbish.
Plenty of people use both.
Who employed this guy?

Quote:
Why you want a Mac
1. Software for dummies -- like you?
2. Light years ahead in graphics.
3. Viruses? Spyware? Spam? iThink not.
4. Industrial eye candy (''the intersection of art and technology" -- Steve Jobs).
5. Automatic cult membership with each purchase.

Why you want Windows
1. Costs less than a lakeside vacation home.
2. Your IT staff has actually used it.
3. Games, games, and more games.
4. Bill Gates gives billions to charity.
5. They know where you live -- and your children, too.
1. Final Cut Pro HD, Shake, Motion - yeah simple!
2. Light years? Eh? I thought photoshop was available for both?
3. Not now, but what's the point? If apple had 90%+ share what would happen?
4. Maybe true, no-one seems to have the "touch", but if they looked rubbish, i'd still buy for os x
5. I really hope someone who owns a mini doesn't buy for this reason, as anyone who has owed a mac for more than 4 years are likely to snif at them.

1. Windows XP Home & SP2 148.98
Mac OS X "Tiger" 74.99
(Amazon UK) - Is this not the fairest comparison? (Just software - he does say "Why you want Windows" - not a "wintel PC")
2. Sure they do, great, they can scratch their heads in the knowledge that they should know what's wrong!
3. True, but I own an Xbox for that purpose.
4. What a crock of S***! We'd all be out buying 'Red Cross' Linux if they brought one out then?
5. - Good fifth point - really stretching there!

Makes you wonder why it's so hard to get a job!

Last edited by James Philp; May 9, 2005 at 12:12 PM.
James Philp is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
The problem is if you are going to have 2 OS's duke it out you ummm sort of need to bring an OS to the party. *looks around* Longshot? Longshot? *whistles* here boy. Come on. Nope. Got nothing. So that leaves XP. A good OS as long as you are a tech head. If you are joe user you are pretty much screwed in a head on comparison between XP and OS X 3 or 4 (Even though 4 is still way more rough around the edges then XP but then what do you think Longshot is going to be like the first 6 months to a year?)

Hell by the time Longshot ships Apple is going to be talking Lion and it will be another 5 years before MS updates again and by then hello OS 11.
__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen

Last edited by SiliconAddict; May 9, 2005 at 12:42 PM.
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 01:43 PM   #10
winmacguy
macrumors 68020
 
winmacguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrix
Sorry, but since when were windows and mac 'incompatible'?

I open iTunes on my PC, I open iTunes on my mac. They can both see each other fine. They network fine. I can't think of many file formats on my PC i can't at least view on my mac. They even share the display sometimes, when i need more screen estate on the powerbook?

And what's that about automator - lots of little programs that do multitasking?

Journalists... who'd have them?

Ollie
I think there are a few more issues when your dealing with Windows based clients who use older versions of Quark, Word, Powerpoint or Indesign for PC who then try and send you image files for printing. We get this a lot at work.
__________________
With Windows iWork, with Apple iCreate
winmacguy is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 05:40 PM   #11
Pyrix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Quote:
I think there are a few more issues when your dealing with Windows based clients who use older versions of Quark, Word, Powerpoint or Indesign for PC who then try and send you image files for printing. We get this a lot at work.
Yeah, it's fair enough. That's still not 'incompatible'. That's a bit like saying that women and men are 'incompatible' because they think differently.. or handle things in different ways. It's just not the right word to use. Yes, it's not THAT easy to do what you say. But it's not THAT easy to get your girlfriend to come with you to a football match.. doesn't mean they're incompatible.

Not the best analogy I know.. but i'm tired. Give me a break
__________________
Into the outdoors? GoXplore!
Pyrix is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Mav451
macrumors 68000
 
Mav451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrix
Yeah, it's fair enough. That's still not 'incompatible'. That's a bit like saying that women and men are 'incompatible' because they think differently.. or handle things in different ways. It's just not the right word to use. Yes, it's not THAT easy to do what you say. But it's not THAT easy to get your girlfriend to come with you to a football match.. doesn't mean they're incompatible.

Not the best analogy I know.. but i'm tired. Give me a break
I never understood why people use .PDF's in the work place environment until I had to deal with that myself. Using PDF's keeps everyone happy (assuming you are just printing/viewing). I keep wondering if MS will ever strike a deal with Adobe to get native support...

Or is this something related to the underpinnings of OSX?
__________________
i5 @ 3.6 Ghz | GB P55-UD3R | 4GB RAM DDR3 | GTX 580 | 4x 1TB WD | TX750
iPhone 4s (16GB), iBook 800 G3
Mav451 is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav451
I keep wondering if MS will ever strike a deal with Adobe to get native support...

Fat chance.

Not if they're intending to roll out this Metro doohickey...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/print/metro.mspx
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 06:25 PM   #14
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a
 
mrsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: sunny san diego
Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
Why you want a Mac
1. Software for dummies -- like you?
2. Light years ahead in graphics.
3. Viruses? Spyware? Spam? iThink not.
4. Industrial eye candy (''the intersection of art and technology" -- Steve Jobs).
5. Automatic cult membership with each purchase.

Why you want Windows
1. Costs less than a lakeside vacation home.
2. Your IT staff has actually used it.
3. Games, games, and more games.
4. Bill Gates gives billions to charity.
5. They know where you live -- and your children, too.

thought this article was pretty fair and had some funny moments, ie: the plastic cow lastly the list, though pretty good, needs a lil help...
winblows:
1. a pc MAY cost less, if you want a bare bones machine, which apple hasn't really offered till now with the mini.
2. you don't need an i.t. staff. plug it in, answer a few questions, and enjoy.
3. this is one of my pet peeves... go play your xbox/ps2 on a big screen tv, it costs half as much. (before my gaming friends break out the flame throwers, they do offer online play with the consoles as well)... and if you're in love with tetris or solitaire, get a gameboy. also see no. (1), any machine decent enough to play games will cost you as much as a decent mac.
4. i haven't seen one stinkin penny from that [bleeper]. however for a small donation of say $1 million a year, i will be more than happy advocate m$, while living at the beach, surrounded by gorgeous girls, and sucking down pina coladas... seriously though, all the big money people give lots to charity, if just for tax purposes.
5. i don't have any kids and like for mentioned will happily support bill for the correct dollar amount, as i will never sit at computer making a living again. thank you... please make payable to sebastian...
__________________
[ding]
mrsebastian is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 06:27 PM   #15
shamino
macrumors 68040
 
shamino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vienna, VA
Quote:
Why you want Windows
1. Costs less than a lakeside vacation home.
Perhaps this person should actually look at the prices before making brain-dead claims like this. MSRP for Mac OS X is $130. MSRP for Windows XP is $200 for the useless "home" edition or $300 for the "professional" edition.

Microsoft does offer upgrade pricing - a $100 discount off of either version. This makes the upgrade to the home edition $100 or an upgrade to the pro edition $200. Sure, the home edition costs less than MacOS if you're upgrading from a previous version, but does anybody really think that a $30 price difference is worthy of calling MacOS "more expensive than a lakeside vacation home"?

I'm sure Windows-advocates will respond that nobody actually pays this much, because Windows comes bundled with new computers. Well, so does MacOS, so it's not really much of an argument.

Of course, the article writer may be talking about the price of a whole computer system, but that's also a bogus argument. Apple has a Mac to match each and every price-point in the PC market, from the $500 mini up through a $3000+ maxed-out PowerMac.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 08:19 PM   #16
Mav451
macrumors 68000
 
Mav451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Perhaps this person should actually look at the prices before making brain-dead claims like this. MSRP for Mac OS X is $130. MSRP for Windows XP is $200 for the useless "home" edition or $300 for the "professional" edition.

Microsoft does offer upgrade pricing - a $100 discount off of either version. This makes the upgrade to the home edition $100 or an upgrade to the pro edition $200. Sure, the home edition costs less than MacOS if you're upgrading from a previous version, but does anybody really think that a $30 price difference is worthy of calling MacOS "more expensive than a lakeside vacation home"?

I'm sure Windows-advocates will respond that nobody actually pays this much, because Windows comes bundled with new computers. Well, so does MacOS, so it's not really much of an argument.

Of course, the article writer may be talking about the price of a whole computer system, but that's also a bogus argument. Apple has a Mac to match each and every price-point in the PC market, from the $500 mini up through a $3000+ maxed-out PowerMac.
This is especially true now. The PC market is in a time of heavy inflation. CPU prices, on average are now $150-200. 2 years ago, CPUs like the 2100+ were being sold for $70. How bout GPU's? There isn't that killer Ti4200 that cost only $130 and offered nearly top-end performance. Now its 6600gt (nice) but to get top-end you gotta shell out $400-500. Nah ah. Until inflation goes down, Macs may even be cheaper than their price-point counterparts--especially with the new iMac G5s.
__________________
i5 @ 3.6 Ghz | GB P55-UD3R | 4GB RAM DDR3 | GTX 580 | 4x 1TB WD | TX750
iPhone 4s (16GB), iBook 800 G3
Mav451 is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 08:47 PM   #17
freiheit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Something many corporations fail to realize is the REASON your IT staff has used Windows is BECAUSE it has games, games and more games. Most IT people I've dealt with spend all their time between calls playing games (or downloading warez) on company time. That's a money waster. Some companies would do themselves a great service by adding non-Windows systems to their mix.
__________________
Without doubt the best OS X versions were 10.3 and 10.6. It's still too soon to tell about 10.9 but so far so good.
freiheit is offline   0
Old May 9, 2005, 08:53 PM   #18
freiheit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Microsoft does offer upgrade pricing - a $100 discount off of either version. This makes the upgrade to the home edition $100 or an upgrade to the pro edition $200. Sure, the home edition costs less than MacOS if you're upgrading from a previous version, but does anybody really think that a $30 price difference is worthy of calling MacOS "more expensive than a lakeside vacation home"?

I'm sure Windows-advocates will respond that nobody actually pays this much, because Windows comes bundled with new computers. Well, so does MacOS, so it's not really much of an argument.
The Windows market is so big that there's so many people who pirate Windows, which makes the price completely irrelevant. How long did it take for WinXP's registration system to be cracked? A couple of weeks? I'd wager there's more pirated copies of Windows in use than there are MacOS X installations (legitimate and pirated combined).

But is that a good thing? Well it's good for Microsoft because it means those people are highly unlikely to ever switch off their platform as long as they can keep using Windows for free.
__________________
Without doubt the best OS X versions were 10.3 and 10.6. It's still too soon to tell about 10.9 but so far so good.
freiheit is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 06:42 AM   #19
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core
 
Jaffa Cake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The City of Culture, Englandshire
5. They know where you live -- and your children, too.

That'll be the spyware.
__________________
How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul, leave me my name!
Jaffa Cake is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:49 PM   #20
RobHague
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
5. Automatic cult membership with each purchase.
Cool do we get to sacrifice virgins and small animals?

----

The only reason people wont buy a Mac IMO (like myself once so i think i speak for a lot of people in that respect) is because its held onto a bad reputation for being an expensive nitche product. Something only hard-core music/video editors buy or people with more money than sense that want a computer that looks like piece of art. And prize the looks over the functionality.

Who tells you different? No one. I have seen a lot of adverts for Microsoft, including their push of XP on TV recentley (the "Start Something" jibberish), but the last one i remember by Apple was for the iMac (G3) after that i dont remember seeing anything else (there have been other adverts yes but obviously not enough).

Last edited by RobHague; Sep 9, 2005 at 12:58 PM.
RobHague is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T users got question about switching lines/numbers bobright iPhone 10 Mar 3, 2014 06:31 AM
Drawn string changes in color but not in size Hans Kamp Mac Programming 3 Apr 5, 2013 10:57 AM
iPhone: A drawn theme, fixing some icons jamesapp Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Oct 4, 2012 04:03 PM
Blizzard's Battle.net Hacked; Company Recommends All Users Change Their Passwords MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 102 Aug 19, 2012 08:04 PM
For Mac Users & PC Users, we're all ********! Spooner83 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 7 Aug 7, 2012 06:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC