Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

How do I access my iCloud files?

Stupid question, but can't find anything on the subject.

Thanks!
Munchyhammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:08 AM   #2
NorfolkMustard
macrumors regular

Depends, what files?
NorfolkMustard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

Well, I've written a note (in notes) and placed it in the iCloud account to test the service. The question is, how do I access the service?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:19 AM   #4
NorfolkMustard
macrumors regular

In "Notes", on another iOS device, setup with the same iCloud account.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

So they won't sync to my Mac? Awh.

Last edited by Munchyhammer; Jul 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:24 AM   #6
NorfolkMustard
macrumors regular

sorry, yeah, on your Mac too. If you have Lion 10.7.2 and have setup iCloud with the same account. They'll appear in Mail on your Mac
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:24 AM   #7
marc11
macrumors 68000

Yes they will if you enable note sync in your iCloud prefs on your Mac.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

Which e-mail address? The apple ID linked to iCloud? Or the @me.com one it asked me to set up (How would I recover THAT password, btw?).
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:39 AM   #9
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchyhammer View Post
Which e-mail address? The apple ID linked to iCloud? Or the @me.com one it asked me to set up (How would I recover THAT password, btw?).
the @me.com password is the same as your Apple ID password, and the notes are found by setting up Mail to your @me.com account.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

Thank you, this is getting confusing so I appreciate it.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:40 AM   #11
NorfolkMustard
macrumors regular

Quote:
When you enabled Notes syncing in iCloud on you iPhone, that @me.com address it made you create is just a secondary address on your original AppleID. i.e. there's no separate password.

You can see the link here https://appleid.apple.com/

If you enable "Mail and Notes" syncing on your Mac, I think it will setup the Mail account on the Mac for you (haven't tried)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Munchyhammer
macrumors member

Thanks for this insight, got it 'working' now.

Munch.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:05 PM   #13
MelSnyder
macrumors newbie

Apple double-talk/no-talk on a simple question

I've been on hold for more than an hour with AppleCare, getting bounced from one tech rep to another, trying to get a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question:

I synched my iPad and iPhone to my iCloud account. I had to pay for an extra 10 GB to do that.

Now I want to view those files, and delete those that I really don't need. How do I see my Docs-to-Go, Nikon RAW and jpeg files and other files I paid to store?

The automatons on the AppleCare line keep reciting some litany about only being able to see files created with iWorks or Contact or Notes etc. If we can't see music and photos and other files created with other software or devices, why does it upload and store them?

Silly me thought that iCloud was Apple's answer to DropBox. They tell me i can't see non-Apple files there, Is that correct?
MelSnyder is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:52 AM   #14
CaptainFred
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelSnyder View Post
I've been on hold for more than an hour with AppleCare, getting bounced from one tech rep to another, trying to get a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question:

I synched my iPad and iPhone to my iCloud account. I had to pay for an extra 10 GB to do that.

Now I want to view those files, and delete those that I really don't need. How do I see my Docs-to-Go, Nikon RAW and jpeg files and other files I paid to store?

The automatons on the AppleCare line keep reciting some litany about only being able to see files created with iWorks or Contact or Notes etc. If we can't see music and photos and other files created with other software or devices, why does it upload and store them?

Silly me thought that iCloud was Apple's answer to DropBox. They tell me i can't see non-Apple files there, Is that correct?
As far as I know, iCloud just keeps everything in sync - it doesn't store your files so you can access them everywhere you go (the only aspect of iCloud that does work a bit like Dropbox is iWork, which you have to access via the web interface on your Mac, or via Pages/Numbers/Keynote on your iOS device).

It stores your media (with the exception of music) as a backup of your iOS device, the same way a backup was created and stored on your Mac when you connected the device to iTunes.
CaptainFred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:44 PM   #15
thunderbunny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelSnyder View Post

For backup and restore.

iCloud Documents are iWork and MS office files only at the moment.
thunderbunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:48 PM   #16
macvos
macrumors newbie

Documents on Mac and iCloud

There is a trick involved. First you need an iOS5 app that stores a document in iCloud, then go to your Mac with Lion on it and also setup to use iCloud.
Now open ~/library and in there you'll find a folder named 'Mobile Documents'. If all has been setup well, your iOS5 app's iCloud folder should be visible there. Simply drag a document into that app's folder and it is auto-synced into iCloud. You are then able to see the document in that iOS5 app.

Now, for the iOS5 app: I use GoodReader.
See the attached image for extra info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MobileDocuments.png
Views:	448
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	314862  
macvos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:16 PM   #17
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by macvos View Post
There is a trick involved. First you need an iOS5 app that stores a document in iCloud, then go to your Mac with Lion on it and also setup to use iCloud.
Now open ~/library and in there you'll find a folder named 'Mobile Documents'. If all has been setup well, your iOS5 app's iCloud folder should be visible there. Simply drag a document into that app's folder and it is auto-synced into iCloud. You are then able to see the document in that iOS5 app.

Now, for the iOS5 app: I use GoodReader.
See the attached image for extra info.
Yes this works. it is fine for PDF's for GoodReader. You can't however pop standard iWork files in here from the Mac as they need to be in iOS format, (though you are able to copy your iWork from here to else-where on your Mac and convert them to Mac)

I note also a number of my iOS apps that a set to save preferences and settings are being backed up here too.

One thing I've realized from this is I suspect my TimeMachine backup is backing up all my cloud documents too, which is reassuring!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:47 AM   #18
jick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Stupid question, but can't find anything on the subject.

Thanks!
From your Mac Desktop in no time with DiskAid. It was the first app that could write to the iOs file system at the time, and they did it again - to the cloud!
http://www.digidna.net/news/diskaid-...th-diskaid-now
jick is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services