Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devananda108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
hello everyone,

I have a question and I don't know exactly where to post this so I cam to macrumors for some inspiration (I hope this is the right thread).

I have a .pdf with diacritical marks from roman transliteration of Sanskrit and I would like to paste a word exactly how it looks in the .pdf but when I paste it anywhere it looks like this

Ma‰galäcaraŠa

when it should look like this

Maṅgalācaraṇa

It took me about 2 minutes to type that word using the US extended keyboard layout function. But I have a lot of lyrics that I want to paste to iTunes songs and when I paste into iTunes it looks like this

Ma‰galäcaraŠa

So, I lose the diacritic marks when pasting and it is indecipherable.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I put a screenshot of what I want to paste. I hope U can C it and that it helps clarify my issue.

sincerely,

devananda108

Attachments

• Screenshot 2011-10-16 23h 24m 58s.png
    Screenshot 2011-10-16 23h 24m 58s.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 147
Nov 28, 2010
located
I could paste "Maṅgalācaraṇa" from your post into iTunes without problem.
Screen%20shot%202011-10-16%20at%204.30.53%20PM.png
Screen%20shot%202011-10-16%20at%204.32.15%20PM.png

I have Mac OS X 10.6.8, my language is set to UK English and I use iTunes 10.4.1.

Screen%20shot%202011-10-16%20at%204.33.27%20PM.png

SysPref_lang_1.png

SysPref_lang_2.png

SysPref_lang_3.png

SysPref_lang_4.png

devananda108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I can't paste from the .pdf

Hello simsaladimbamba,

thanks for the quick reply!

I also could paste the diacritics from this thread to iTunes, but I can't paste it from the .pdf.

I will attach the .pdf and, if you have time, please try to paste a word with diacritics into itunes lyrics section.

can U C the .pdf? Just in case here is a link to many free .pdfs which use these diacritics.

http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/ebooks-a-magazines-mainmenu-63/cat_view/53-bhakti-books-download/31-english.html

Sincerely,

devananda108

Last edited:

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hello simsaladimbamba,

thanks for the quick reply!

I also could paste the diacritics from this thread to iTunes, but I can't paste it from the .pdf.

I will attach the .pdf and, if you have time, please try to paste a word with diacritics into itunes lyrics section.

can U C the .pdf? Just in case here is a link to many free .pdfs which use these diacritics.

http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/ebooks-a-magazines-mainmenu-63/cat_view/53-bhakti-books-download/31-english.html

Sincerely,

devananda108

The problem likely has to do with how the PDF was created and the fonts used. Probably wasn't done with unicode, and so iTunes has no way to interpret what you've copied.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Almost certain it's because of the way those PDFs were created; the ones on the linked site were locked, so I couldn't get into any detail, but they appear (as suggested) to have the fonts encoded weirdly so that essentially the letters you see in the PDF do not line up with the actual text that is being stored in it. Even within Acrobat Reader itself, if you copy and paste a word with diacritics into the "find" box, it looks wrong but highlights the correct word in the document.

PDF has some weirdness in general in the way it stores fonts and characters, but the fact that those were produced by an older (v7, ca 2006) version of Acrobat may also be a factor.

I've seen much more extreme examples where, for example, the text encoding is so weird you can't even select text to copy it, only individual letters, and/or times when the "letters" are essentially just vector graphics and aren't copy-pastable at all.

devananda108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
diacritical marks can't be pasted from .pdf

Hell samh and Makosuke

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will have to find a .doc version (or make my own word version).

Thanks again,

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I guess I will have to find a .doc version (or make my own word version).

If you're trying to recreate a lot of text (as opposed to just copy and paste a few things into iTunes, which would be faster to just retype), the easiest way would almost certainly be to copy and paste everything into Word or another text editor with mass find-replace capability, then go through each diacritic and copy whatever it turned into in the pasted text, then replace all occurrences of that character with the correct one typed in the "replace" field.

If there are only a dozen or two different possible diacritics in the text you're working from, this shouldn't take very long, and since each screwed up character should be unique, it should work.

If you're having trouble following me, for example:

The text "Śrī Śrīmad", when copied from one of those PDFs, appears as "Çré Çrémad" when pasted.

So if you copy and paste the entire book, then do a find and replace, replacing all occurrences (case sensitive) of "Ç" with "Ś", and "é" with "ī", that should work.

The only problem would be if one of the screwed up diacritics overlaps with a correct one elsewhere (for example, the document actually does contain "é" somewhere). You might be able to still make it work by being careful of the order in which you replace things (saving the one thatreplaces to é for last); otherwise, you'll have to skip through the document manually and only replace the correct occurrences, but if you know the words being used this probably won't take a huge amount of time, at least.

devananda108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the good advice! I can understand what you mean very clearly.

I will try it as you explained, first with one letter then another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.