Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

View Poll Results: Would you like the NFL on your Apple TV?
Yes, please! 75 78.95%
Meh, doesn't matter to me. 17 17.89%
No, I hate options! 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
DustinT
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Would you like the NFL on your Apple TV?

I'm just wondering how many people are interested in the National Football League on their Apple TVs. For me, thats one of the last things keeping my satellite subscription active and if I could get the NFL, even for $100-200 a year, it would be worth it to me.

What do you say? Worth it? Meh? Waste of time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nfl.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	307283  
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I would want it too. However, since DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL package, Apple will need to set up an agreement with DirecTV as Sony did with the playstation. And the cost is closer to $400.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:29 AM   #3
DustinT
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I would want it too. However, since DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL package, Apple will need to set up an agreement with DirecTV as Sony did with the playstation. And the cost is closer to $400.
What I understood is that DirecTV is required to get the NFL online by 2012? Is that still the case?

And yes, I think you are right that Apple, DirecTV and the NFL would all need to come to an agreement. Certainly, thats not going to make it any easier.

$400? Well, I suppose there are some who'd pay that. Personally, I'd be closer to $100-200.. But, we'll just have to wait and see what we're told to pay. lol.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:57 PM   #4
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
What I understood is that DirecTV is required to get the NFL online by 2012? Is that still the case?

And yes, I think you are right that Apple, DirecTV and the NFL would all need to come to an agreement. Certainly, thats not going to make it any easier.

$400? Well, I suppose there are some who'd pay that. Personally, I'd be closer to $100-200.. But, we'll just have to wait and see what we're told to pay. lol.
They did get it online by 2012. You can stream it on the playstation. I bet the next device is the ROKU.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:31 AM   #5
ZGXtreme
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Give me NCAA with immediate replay of the game should I miss the live showing and my cable would be gone.
__________________
ZGXtreme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:57 AM   #6
Chaomino
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Yeah ! I want it now !

I live in Spain and i have purchased Game pass. I have to stream it to the TV via AirPlay.

Works fine, it will be better if it is native.
Chaomino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:05 AM   #7
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040
 
DiamondMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
If they did it, I would like it.

But frankly, I am a DirecTV customer and have the Sunday Ticket and am rather happy with it being on my TV.

Of course, many dont have DirecTV so this would help them
__________________
32gb iPhone 4s
64GB iPad 2
15-inch, 500GB, 2.0GHz quad-core, Intel Core i7
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
I voted "Yes, please" only because "****, yeah!" wasn't an option.

How much does the NFL streaming cost outside the us? Could be a good price approximation.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:24 AM   #9
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
unless your a football nut and want to watch every single team for fantasy reason the $400 NFL package isn't worth it especially if you like a good team. In Boston we get all the packers, giants, jets and Patroits games every week for free on local tv channels. I understand if you like the bangels or the 49s it might be needed.

As for it costing $100-200 bucks. Man I'd love that but it's not going to happen to get past the cable companies you will need to pay a premium. I hate Comcast and only have it because of HBO. If HBO let me pay them $50 a month instead of $20 a month and not have comcast I'd be super happy because $50 a month is a lot less than $100 a month for 798 channels I do not watch or need.
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Uofmtiger
macrumors 6502a
 
Uofmtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Memphis
I would definitely like to see it on Apple TV. I would need to know that it had similar PVR capabilities...the ability to join a game in progress from the beginning and skip through commercials, some huddles, and halftime like you can do with a Directv PVR or even watch it later that day.

I know the PS3 has it now, but I don't really trust Sony to get through a season without issues. If Apple had it, I would strongly consider dropping Directv....since NFL is the main reason I still have satellite.

I am not involved in fantasy leagues and I like the Cowboys (which they usually show locally). However, I like to watch certain players around the league, so I get my money's worth out of it. A ticket to one Cowboys game (with decent seats) can cost near or more than a season of the Sunday Ticket.
__________________
4 Airport Express, 3 AppleTV family...you could say we like Airplay.
Uofmtiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 PM   #11
dchap02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I would love it if I could get Sunday Ticket on my Apple TV. My wife is a huge Bears fan (unfortunately). I would subscribe if it was available!
dchap02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:26 PM   #12
ghoti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
$200 is my absolute maximum.
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:06 AM   #13
DustinT
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
I voted "Yes, please" only because "****, yeah!" wasn't an option.

How much does the NFL streaming cost outside the us? Could be a good price approximation.
Lol, guess I should have added one more option for ya. :-)

It's not really that surprising that so many people want the NFL on their ATVs. What is surprising is that they aren't offering it yet. I bet the NFL wishes they still had the rights to sell it, even if they did so for for a positively ridiculous price. There's some people who would subscribe, at any price.

Perhaps after the contract is renegotiated next time the streaming rights and the broadcast rights will be separated. Or, maybe the NFL will just open it up to multiple broadcast partners. Say, its available on both Dish and DirectTV next time.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:20 AM   #14
aawil
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
I was hoping to see it happen this year but I guess it isn't.
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB iPad Air 2 64GB, iPhone 8GB, iPod Photo 30GB 21.5" iMac Late 2013 i5 tv 2012 11" Macbook Air 128GB
aawil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:25 AM   #15
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
That would be awesome! We already have Nhl, Nba, Mlb, we only need Nfl and apple tv will be one of the most entertaining streaming box! All that+jailbreaking= PRICELESS!!
__________________
iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 plus, iPad 1 ,iPad 3, iPad Mini 2 Lte, Macbook air 13" 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8Gb ram mid 2013 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:27 AM   #16
DustinT
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by big samm View Post
That would be awesome! We already have Nhl, Nba, Mlb, we only need Nfl and apple tv will be one of the most entertaining streaming box! All that+jailbreaking= PRICELESS!!
Lol, Apple's got a pretty compelling device, don't they?
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:02 PM   #17
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
$200 is my absolute maximum.
Well then you're probably not going to get it for a while. DirecTV's price is $350 a season and the PS3 price is $340.

One thing not mentioned here, is that you can buy the To-Go (iPhone/iPad compatible) service direct from DirecTV, even if you're not a subscriber, for $350 but have to state that you're unable to get DirecTV (e.g., due to line-of-sight issues). I don't know if you have to prove that somehow.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
atv 2, cable, national football league, nfl, satellite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'NFL Now' Streaming Video Service Launching Ahead of 2014 NFL Season MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 34 Feb 3, 2014 05:52 PM
iPhone: In honor of the NFL preseason starting this week, post your NFL wallpapers here! lsutigerfan1976 UI Customization 5 Aug 5, 2013 06:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC