Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like the NFL on your Apple TV?

• Total voters

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I'm just wondering how many people are interested in the National Football League on their Apple TVs. For me, thats one of the last things keeping my satellite subscription active and if I could get the NFL, even for $100-200 a year, it would be worth it to me.

What do you say? Worth it? Meh? Waste of time?

Attachments

• nfl.jpg
    nfl.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 164

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I would want it too. However, since DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL package, Apple will need to set up an agreement with DirecTV as Sony did with the playstation. And the cost is closer to $400.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I would want it too. However, since DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL package, Apple will need to set up an agreement with DirecTV as Sony did with the playstation. And the cost is closer to $400.
What I understood is that DirecTV is required to get the NFL online by 2012? Is that still the case?

And yes, I think you are right that Apple, DirecTV and the NFL would all need to come to an agreement. Certainly, thats not going to make it any easier.

$400? Well, I suppose there are some who'd pay that. Personally, I'd be closer to $100-200.. But, we'll just have to wait and see what we're told to pay. lol.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
What I understood is that DirecTV is required to get the NFL online by 2012? Is that still the case?

And yes, I think you are right that Apple, DirecTV and the NFL would all need to come to an agreement. Certainly, thats not going to make it any easier.

$400? Well, I suppose there are some who'd pay that. Personally, I'd be closer to $100-200.. But, we'll just have to wait and see what we're told to pay. lol.

They did get it online by 2012. You can stream it on the playstation. I bet the next device is the ROKU.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Give me NCAA with immediate replay of the game should I miss the live showing and my cable would be gone.

Chaomino

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Yeah ! I want it now !

I live in Spain and i have purchased Game pass. I have to stream it to the TV via AirPlay.

Works fine, it will be better if it is native.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
If they did it, I would like it.

But frankly, I am a DirecTV customer and have the Sunday Ticket and am rather happy with it being on my TV.

Of course, many dont have DirecTV so this would help them

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I voted "Yes, please" only because "****, yeah!" wasn't an option.

How much does the NFL streaming cost outside the us? Could be a good price approximation.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
unless your a football nut and want to watch every single team for fantasy reason the $400 NFL package isn't worth it especially if you like a good team. In Boston we get all the packers, giants, jets and Patroits games every week for free on local tv channels. I understand if you like the bangels or the 49s :) it might be needed.

As for it costing $100-200 bucks. Man I'd love that but it's not going to happen to get past the cable companies you will need to pay a premium. I hate Comcast and only have it because of HBO. If HBO let me pay them $50 a month instead of $20 a month and not have comcast I'd be super happy because $50 a month is a lot less than $100 a month for 798 channels I do not watch or need.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I would definitely like to see it on Apple TV. I would need to know that it had similar PVR capabilities...the ability to join a game in progress from the beginning and skip through commercials, some huddles, and halftime like you can do with a Directv PVR or even watch it later that day.

I know the PS3 has it now, but I don't really trust Sony to get through a season without issues. If Apple had it, I would strongly consider dropping Directv....since NFL is the main reason I still have satellite.

I am not involved in fantasy leagues and I like the Cowboys (which they usually show locally). However, I like to watch certain players around the league, so I get my money's worth out of it. A ticket to one Cowboys game (with decent seats) can cost near or more than a season of the Sunday Ticket.

dchap02

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I would love it if I could get Sunday Ticket on my Apple TV. My wife is a huge Bears fan (unfortunately). I would subscribe if it was available!

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I voted "Yes, please" only because "****, yeah!" wasn't an option.

How much does the NFL streaming cost outside the us? Could be a good price approximation.
Lol, guess I should have added one more option for ya. :)

It's not really that surprising that so many people want the NFL on their ATVs. What is surprising is that they aren't offering it yet. I bet the NFL wishes they still had the rights to sell it, even if they did so for for a positively ridiculous price. There's some people who would subscribe, at any price.

Perhaps after the contract is renegotiated next time the streaming rights and the broadcast rights will be separated. Or, maybe the NFL will just open it up to multiple broadcast partners. Say, its available on both Dish and DirectTV next time.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
That would be awesome! We already have Nhl, Nba, Mlb, we only need Nfl and apple tv will be one of the most entertaining streaming box! All that+jailbreaking= PRICELESS!!

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
That would be awesome! We already have Nhl, Nba, Mlb, we only need Nfl and apple tv will be one of the most entertaining streaming box! All that+jailbreaking= PRICELESS!!
Lol, Apple's got a pretty compelling device, don't they?

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
$200 is my absolute maximum.
Well then you're probably not going to get it for a while. DirecTV's price is $350 a season and the PS3 price is $340.

One thing not mentioned here, is that you can buy the To-Go (iPhone/iPad compatible) service direct from DirecTV, even if you're not a subscriber, for $350 but have to state that you're unable to get DirecTV (e.g., due to line-of-sight issues). I don't know if you have to prove that somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.