Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Does it do it automatically? If so, how often does it do it because I cannot see an option to change the frequency of this

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
it will backup anytime your device is...
Plugged in, and Locked, and has internet access via WiFi, and idle. All 4 must be met to automatically backup.

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
I have been monitoring this since getting my 4S.
According to the text at the bottom of the backup screen on the phone, it isn't automatically backing up at all - I have backed it up manually in the evening then left it on charge overnight with home network connected, and checked the following morning to see there has been no backup for the several hours. It was idle and meeting all the required criteria.

Am I missing something?

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
mmmm, they still haven't ironed out this iCloud. You cannot restore from iCloud through iTunes and setup assistant didn't offer the option. Had to restore the phone twice. A very basic omission.

Also, it takes ages to restore this way

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I have been monitoring this since getting my 4S.
According to the text at the bottom of the backup screen on the phone, it isn't automatically backing up at all - I have backed it up manually in the evening then left it on charge overnight with home network connected, and checked the following morning to see there has been no backup for the several hours. It was idle and meeting all the required criteria.

Am I missing something?

You may have too much to back up. If you have too much to back up it won't do anything. That's my situation.

Also, are you sure you have iCloud Backup enabled?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Another question comes to mind - does it need to backup repeatedly overnight if you haven't unlocked the phone at all? My first thought is if nothing on the phone has changed, why back it up more than 1x?

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Another question comes to mind - does it need to backup repeatedly overnight if you haven't unlocked the phone at all? My first thought is if nothing on the phone has changed, why back it up more than 1x?

It probably only backs up the delta from the previous backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.