Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Vazza
macrumors member

Using different Apple ID emails - iCloud & iMessage/FaceTime

So having read in Apple support files that they recommend that most users use the same Apple ID for both iTunes and iCloud, I've chosen my gmail address, which I was using for iTunes purchases etc. as the login for iCloud. However, I've entered my me.com address as the Apple ID (as well as email) for both iMessage and FaceTime on my iPhone.

Seeing as the two are linked and are the same Apple ID (me.com being an alternate email), are there any potential problems with this and secondly, can people only iMessage or FaceTime me if they know my me.com address. Will they also be able to FaceTime using my gmail address (which is the primary one for the Apple ID)?

Last edited by Vazza; Oct 16, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Vazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:06 PM   #2
pulp88
macrumors newbie

This also confuses me a bit, because in facetime e.g. Its called an appleID as you said but you cant login with than in itunes as an appleID so what is it
pulp88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Vazza
macrumors member

Glad I'm not the only one slightly confused by this

Pulp88 at the moment you can't use your me.com address as the primary email for Apple ID. In my case it is the alternate email address for my Apple ID with my old Gmail the primary. However, I can log into all things apple related using both, as they are the same Apple ID (although iTunes still shows my Gmail address even if I log in with the me.com address). What confuses me is whether people can FaceTime me etc. using both addresses, even though I've used the me.com one as my Apple ID for those features (with my Gmail used for iCloud and iTunes).

Last edited by Vazza; Oct 16, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Vazza
macrumors member

Anyone?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Zincous
macrumors 6502

Go to Settings > Facetime and you will see "You can be reached for video calls at:"

This should list your phone number (iPhone) and your email address (probably the gmail one).

And then an option for "Add another email..."

Choose that and enter your @me.com account and it'll send a verification email.

Same for iMessage: Settings > Messages > "Receive at" > Add Another Email

So you can be called by facetime and use iMessage through multiple email accounts yes.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6
iammike1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Go to Settings > Facetime and you will see "You can be reached for video calls at:"

This should list your phone number (iPhone) and your email address (probably the gmail one).

And then an option for "Add another email..."

Choose that and enter your @me.com account and it'll send a verification email.

Same for iMessage: Settings > Messages > "Receive at" > Add Another Email

So you can be called by facetime and use iMessage through multiple email accounts yes.
DING DING DING!!!! You win a new car!!!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Vazza
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies...I noticed the option to add another email in the settings but just wanted to clarify if I needed to, as both emails are the same Apple ID and I can log in to everything including iTunes using either. Anyway, I've just added my Gmail to iMessage and FaceTime

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services