Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
grlywmn
macrumors newbie

transferring contacts from Droid to iphone 4s

I am so frustrated right now. I have followed every instruction and then some to get my contacts from my driod to my iphone. It keeps saying the password is wrong on the EXchange account.

My gmail account is updating fine, it is just that Exchange account. So none of my contacts will tranfer to the iphone.

Anyone else having this problem and any solutions found?

Thanks!
Ang
grlywmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

If you setup gmail via exchange your contacts will be available.

Make sure you use your full email address as the login and the server in step two is m.google.com. A lot of people put m.gmail.com.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:16 PM   #3
grlywmn
macrumors newbie

I have done this OVER and OVER again. I have checked, double checked. I yelled for alittle bit. Walked away before I threw the phone.

I have serached online, seems like a common problem but yet no solid solution. I have tried all the things people say, with no results?

Anyone??
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4
steve knight
macrumors 65816

You are working too hard. Just export them from google import them into say outlook or the address book or such and your off.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:54 PM   #5
grlywmn
macrumors newbie

then what? Do I sync to my outlook? I haven't hooked the phone up to itunes yet.

At this point, my head hrts so bad from this I am going to just enter all my contacts by hand. I am just so frustrated right now by it all

I bet Droid is doing this on purpose to me
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

This common problem is usually user error. Have you enabled iMap in mail?

While imap is not exchange who knows whether they are linked.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:03 PM   #7
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlywmn View Post
then what? Do I sync to my outlook? I haven't hooked the phone up to itunes yet.

At this point, my head hrts so bad from this I am going to just enter all my contacts by hand. I am just so frustrated right now by it all

I bet Droid is doing this on purpose to me
outlook has a import contacts feature and use that to import the file. then make sure you have icloud installed and all that synced.
but as others have said it sounds like you goofed something up getting gmail on your phone. Go into gmail on the web and help and it will show you step by step instructions.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:15 PM   #8
grlywmn
macrumors newbie

Believe me, the first hour of doing it I thought it was me messing up.

Then lots of googling later, it seems to be a common error. I have tried everything google said and many other people. Checked all my gmail settings(multiple times)

It just seems to not be working.

But thank you so much Steven, I was able to do it through outlook. And you know what else is up in that info box- a google sync for contacts also. That is what I get for trying to not use itunes!

Thank you for your help. And thank you hooligan for trying too. I wish it was a user error,lol.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:28 PM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlywmn View Post
I am so frustrated right now. I have followed every instruction and then some to get my contacts from my driod to my iphone. It keeps saying the password is wrong on the EXchange account.
It's tricky to tell form your posts. Were you just looking to transfer contacts or actually set up the Exchange account? If you do the latter you shouldn't need to transfer contacts or import/export, etc. They'll sync via ActiveSync.

Last edited by takeshi74; Oct 16, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:33 PM   #10
grlywmn
macrumors newbie

I think I was actually trying to set up an exchange account. I would get everything done and then it would say wrong password. I tried all the stuff I could find. From all the research I was doing, it seems like it was a common problem. Some could fix it by checking settings or taking certain parts of their address out. Other just turned things on and off or reset passwords. I could do nothing!!!!!!!

But I got it all synced finally. Not through the Exchange thing but just regualr itunes. Everything came over nicely. And I am happy to not have to add all my contacts by hand.

But my head still hurts from it all. I think I spent a total of 3 hours on it in the end. Just for some darn contacts! Probably could have entered them by hand in that time!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting