Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
CHRONiC YOUTH
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Download from ipad to NAS?

Hey guys Im wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive? That way it will never take up space on my ipad, and wont have to waste time syncing..
CHRONiC YOUTH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
No.

Update: I looked around a bit. It appears that the app iFiles will allow you to download a file then upload it elsewhere.

If you had a NAS drive, you should be able to upload the file there.

Note: you can't upload arbitrary files with iFiles; you can only upload files that you downloaded into iFiles.

I'm curious: can you explain why you have a need for the external storage?

Last edited by FloatingBones; Oct 16, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:45 PM   #3
CHRONiC YOUTH
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I want to download larger files on my ipad and have them save to my nas so I dont have to go through the trouble of syncing them, they will just be accessible.. plus I hate having to have to switch to my xbox to watch all my divx movies it would be neater if I could do all of it through my atv2
CHRONiC YOUTH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:49 PM   #4
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Thanks. I think that iFiles will do the job, but I've never tried it. Please read the app's info/feedback and make sure it will do what you want before buying it.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
CHRONiC YOUTH
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Im really not trying to download and upload though.. It would be quicker just to sync rather upload, I'm wondering I guess if there is any app that supports downloading/saving to a NAS, kinda like how you can browse and change your file destinations on a pc to do so..
CHRONiC YOUTH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:06 PM   #6
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
FYI: This thread has a good discussion of iFiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONiC YOUTH View Post
Im really not trying to download and upload though.. It would be quicker just to sync rather upload, I'm wondering I guess if there is any app that supports downloading/saving to a NAS, kinda like how you can browse and change your file destinations on a pc to do so..
I don't see that happening. in iOS, there is no concept of any file system other than the local iOS file system.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:11 PM   #7
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
2 words...Usenet, NZBs, and SAB Mobile. Ok, 4 words.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:51 PM   #8
CHRONiC YOUTH
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
2 words...Usenet, NZBs, and SAB Mobile. Ok, 4 words.
What?

Hypothetically, how long do you think it would take to upload a 2gb+ file from an ipad to a nas drive over ftp??
CHRONiC YOUTH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Pete the Geek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sioux Lookout
Both Seagate and Western Digital are selling external hard drives that, combined with an app, provide essentially NAS storage for the iPad. Seagate's GoFlex Satellite device has built-in wireless while Western Digital's My Book connects to your wireless router (so it is more of a true NAS). I was seriously considering the WD device, but the app store reviews for the Western Digital iPad app are bad. The price for the Seagate is over my budget, but their app is also getting bad reviews.

Please let us know what solution you end up using!
Pete the Geek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:24 AM   #10
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONiC YOUTH View Post
What?

Hypothetically, how long do you think it would take to upload a 2gb+ file from an ipad to a nas drive over ftp??
google those words and become enlightened.

set it up correctly and you will not download a single file to your iPad, but rather, search for them with your ipad, send the NZBs to SABNZBD on your NAS with your iPad, download the actual files directly to your NAS, bypassing your iPad, and then manage the files with your iPad.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:49 AM   #11
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
It sounds like you're on the bleeding edge of this tech. You have NAS, but you don't have a PC, a desktop Mac, or a cheap Linux box to pull the files down. That would be a rather obvious solution. It would be nice to have some seamless way to queue files to be pulled down, but such things don't exist yet.

SABNZBD sounds like a rather awful hack. I can imagine a worse way than USENET to use as a conduit for queued file transfer, but I'd have to think for a long time to come up with one. Why would the files you want already have an NZB? How would one request a file get added? What would be the latency of getting it distributed? Is there any sort of digital signing to ensure the content in the USENET files is correct?
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:27 AM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Install DropBOX, this will allow you to download programs to a shared folder both your PC & iPad can share.

and/or

Use a good NAS with an iPad app that allows downloading directly to the NAS (Synology or QNAP are good and both have iPad apps). Those NAS's also support popular filesharing services.
Synology Live Demo

and/or

WebDAV (the above NAS's support WebDAV) it's basically a DIY cloud and there are iPad apps for that too.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:58 PM   #13
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post

SABNZBD sounds like a rather awful hack.
It's hands down the most popular downloader across all platforms.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:14 PM   #14
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
It's hands down the most popular downloader across all platforms.
Even if true, the two are not mutually exclusive. A popular program can indeed be an awful kludge. If you think the program isn't a kludge, please address the questions I listed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
SABNZBD sounds like a rather awful hack. I can imagine a worse way than USENET to use as a conduit for queued file transfer, but I'd have to think for a long time to come up with one. Why would the files you want already have an NZB? How would one request a file get added? What would be the latency of getting it distributed? Is there any sort of digital signing to ensure the content in the USENET files is correct?
Thanks.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:32 PM   #15
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Even if true, the two are not mutually exclusive. A popular program can indeed be an awful kludge. If you think the program isn't a kludge, please address the questions I listed:



Thanks.
Have you ever used Usenet? It's not clear. You search for a file you want. You download a small .nzb file, which tells your file aggregating software what (media) files to download. You open the .nzb in your file aggregating software and the file(s) begin downloading. Afterwards, you unrar the collected files and reassemble them. A good aggregator, like SABNZBD does this automatically. It also runs natively on Linux NAS boxes.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:54 AM   #16
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Have you ever used Usenet? It's not clear.
Did you bother to search with google before asking?

I've used USENET since the days when UUCP was used to move the files -- but that's not tremendously important for this discussion.

Quote:
You search for a file you want. You download a small .nzb file, which tells your file aggregating software what (media) files to download. You open the .nzb in your file aggregating software and the file(s) begin downloading. Afterwards, you unrar the collected files and reassemble them. A good aggregator, like SABNZBD does this automatically. It also runs natively on Linux NAS boxes.
It sounds as if the system is a USENET flavor of torrents.

How exactly will that help the OP with his problem? How does it help with the general problem of queueing an arbitrary file to be downloaded onto a local storage device? I don't really see how it does.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:10 PM   #17
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Did you bother to search with google before asking?

I've used USENET since the days when UUCP was used to move the files -- but that's not tremendously important for this discussion.



It sounds as if the system is a USENET flavor of torrents.

How exactly will that help the OP with his problem? How does it help with the general problem of queueing an arbitrary file to be downloaded onto a local storage device? I don't really see how it does.
it is similar to bitorrent, the main difference being you download from 1 dedicated usenet server, vs from an array of seeding peers, thus the speeds can be (and in my case always are) very fast, and are far more reliably downloaded.

how would this help the OP? he/she would install SABNZBD mobile on their ipad, and SABNZBD on their NAS. SABNZBD mobile has a web search interface built in. On the iPad, they search for a file, download the nzb, have the nzb transferred to the NAS, (which has SABNZBD running and ready all the time), download all the parts, combine them into the final media file, all in one click....and from anywhere the iPad can connect to the web. No files are downloaded thru the iPad. It's all done on the NAS...the iPad just acts as a ticket agent; the nzb being the ticket. And you can queue as many tickets as you like...they will all get downloaded and unpacked with little to no intervention.

So, the original question, "wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive?" is answered in the method above, and without needing to keep the iPad on and downloading tons of data over 3G or wifi...all the heavy downloading is done by the NAS at home.

If I didn't make this clear, I'm sorry, but please stop asking why this is any good or why it will help the OP. It just is and it just will. Trust me. Usenet is a different place these days, and the tools are very different.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:46 AM   #18
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
That dog don't hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
how would this help the OP? he/she would install SABNZBD mobile on their ipad, and SABNZBD on their NAS. SABNZBD mobile has a web search interface built in. On the iPad, they search for a file, download the nzb, have the nzb transferred to the NAS, (which has SABNZBD running and ready all the time), download all the parts, combine them into the final media file, all in one click....and from anywhere the iPad can connect to the web. No files are downloaded thru the iPad. It's all done on the NAS...the iPad just acts as a ticket agent; the nzb being the ticket. And you can queue as many tickets as you like...they will all get downloaded and unpacked with little to no intervention.
You didn't answer the question: it only helps the OP if the files he wants have already been downloaded to the local NNTP server.

It is most certainly not a generalized solution to queueing arbitrary web files to be downloaded to a local NAS server.

This only works if your ISP maintains a USENET archive of these [large] files. This costs ISPs real money for the hardware and to maintain, and there is no way that all the content of the internet could ever possibly be kept populated by each ISP.

Quote:
So, the original question, "wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive?" is answered in the method above, and without needing to keep the iPad on and downloading tons of data over 3G or wifi...all the heavy downloading is done by the NAS at home.

If I didn't make this clear, I'm sorry, but please stop asking why this is any good or why it will help the OP. It just is and it just will. Trust me. Usenet is a different place these days, and the tools are very different.
It does nothing to address the problem of how to download an arbitrary set of files to a NAS device. Trust us: it is not a general solution to the problem.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Syncing TV Shows from iPad to iTunes - without losing downloaded shows? Noisemaker iPad 4 Mar 26, 2013 09:48 PM
How to transfer documents (pages) from iPad to Mac? Help! cactus33 iPad 7 Jan 9, 2012 03:07 PM
Way to delete podcast downloads from the Downloads window? BlueberryMac Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Mar 28, 2011 05:24 AM
Sync Folders from Mac to NAS on network celticpride678 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 30, 2009 08:17 PM
Help needed transfering files from OSX to NAS davide78 OS X 3 Jun 5, 2008 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC