Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Whenever I watch a video and try to view it in "fullscreen" mode, it eventually freezes, the sound continues for like 30 seconds, and then it takes me back to the home "login" screen, where I have to log in all over again.

My computer is a MacBook Pro, which I purchased in summer of 2007. I kee it in very good condition.

What is wrong with my computer?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Clearly, the video is crashing the WindowServer. If you log in as a different user, does it still do it? If you boot from a known-good OS install, does it do it?Are there any graphical aberrations on the screen?

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Fullscreen problems

Sorry for the long delay! Thanks for your response though.

When I sign in from a different account and use the same programs (google chrome, firefox, etc.) and I full screen youtube/hulu/netflix/etc. it works miraculously!

However, this is like using a brand new computer - I dont have any of my documents, music, bookmarks, etc. available from this log in account. Is there a way to get my log in account that I use regularly this fast?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
The good news is that your computer is fine. This means there's something buried somewhere in your user profile causing the problem. If you can figure out precisely what causes the problem, that'll give a direction to look.

For example: Netflix uses Silverlight, so if it's a Flash problem, it should work fine.

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Where would I find out the problem

How would I best go about attacking this and figuring out exactly where/what the problem is?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
You say it's fullscreen video. Well, it probably isn't as simple as full screen video. Does it happen in one browser and not the other? Does it happen with VLC or QuickTime Movie Player? Are you sure it happens in Netflix? Do other full-screen things cause it to crash too, like video games? Don't just give examples of where it crashes. Figure out where it doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.