Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
NorCal916
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Difference between 6th & 7th Gen Ipod Nano?

Hey,
I was curious if anyone actually knows if there is a difference in the 6th and 7th generation ipod nano's whether its software or hardware related. I went to Walmart today to purchase one but they weren't sure if it was the newest version so I just passed until I can actually tell the difference because I dont want to purchase an older model. Any info would help thanks.
NorCal916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
As far as I know - the only update is the software (and of course, the price). The software is available as a free update if your new Nano comes with the old software when you buy it.

Edit to add - and the part numbers are the same, so you would be unable to tell the difference by looking at the box at the store.
__________________
2011 27" iMac i5 2011 13" MacBook Pro i5 2010 macMini C2D Server 2005 12" PowerBook G4 1.5
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
The only thing you need to know about the 6th and 7th gen nanos is; there is no 7th gen nano.
__________________
Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (White), Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (White), Laptop: ASUS Vivobook X202E, Desktop: HP Pavillion P6710f with Windows 8.1.
TheSuperSteve is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal916 View Post
Hey,
I was curious if anyone actually knows if there is a difference in the 6th and 7th generation ipod nano's whether its software or hardware related. I went to Walmart today to purchase one but they weren't sure if it was the newest version so I just passed until I can actually tell the difference because I dont want to purchase an older model. Any info would help thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbrossard View Post
As far as I know - the only update is the software (and of course, the price). The software is available as a free update if your new Nano comes with the old software when you buy it.

Edit to add - and the part numbers are the same, so you would be unable to tell the difference by looking at the box at the store.
For what it's worth, the employee at the Apple Store assured me that the 6G and 7G nano's are the same.

As for determining the "gen" of the nano from the box, I believe that the label on the box will say what firmware version that it's running. We just bought two nanos at the Apple Store and they both had 1.1 on the box. I'm guessing that a new 7G nano would have 1.2 on the box.

ft
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
they are the same
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Resist
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I know this thread is several months old but, there are slight differences between the 6th and 7th generation Nano. Only a few things changed and it's all internal, upgraded Apple processor and different chip memory. Both versions have the upgraded UI. There is no way to tell the difference without taking it apart, so by all accounts the 6th and 7th generation are the same.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I know this thread is several months old but, there are slight differences between the 6th and 7th generation Nano. Only a few things changed and it's all internal, upgraded Apple processor and different chip memory. Both versions have the upgraded UI. There is no way to tell the difference without taking it apart, so by all accounts the 6th and 7th generation are the same.
it's not upgraded but different AFAIK, it's just different parts numbers/brands w/out improvements?
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8
mkjj
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Liverpool
From the horse's mouth as they say: No 7th gen... yet

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/
__________________
Here's to the crazy ones...
mkjj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Resist
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
As I said, there really is no 7th generation Nano yet. Apple just did some minor internal tweaks to the 6th generation model.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:14 AM   #10
stevemcgee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.
stevemcgee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:20 AM   #11
JerZyT28
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcgee View Post
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.
Is this for real?
__________________
21.5" iMac; 15" MBP; iPad 3; iPod Classic 5th Gen; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Nano 4th Gen; Nexus 7, Nexus 5
JerZyT28 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:18 AM   #12
Julien
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcgee View Post
....The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.
Don't you mean 80TB and 160TB?
Julien is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:17 AM   #13
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZyT28 View Post
Is this for real?
Which part? Either way, it's not accurate.

The 6G/6.5G nanos have always been rated at 24 hours of playback battery life.

Also, they've always have been available with 8GB and 16GB of storage.
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Sheev202
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcgee View Post
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.
This is false. Check out the specs on the Apple website for the 6th generation Nano here: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

There is no 7th generation nano. This is a hoax.

Here are part numbers from Mactracker: MC525LL/A (8 GB Silver), MC688LL/A (8 GB Graphite), MC689LL/A (8 GB Blue), MC690LL/A (8 GB Green), MC691LL/A (8 GB Orange), MC692LL/A (8 GB Pink), MC693LL/A (8 GB Red), MC526LL/A (16 GB Silver), MC694LL/A (16 GB Graphite), MC695LL/A (16 GB Blue), MC696LL/A (16 GB Green), MC697LL/A (16 GB Orange), MC698LL/A (16 GB Pink), MC699LL/A (16 GB Red)

All they did was lower the prices from $150 (8GB) $180 (16GB) to $130 (8GB) $150 (16GB)

It's still the 6th generation Nano.

Battery life is as follows for all 6th generation Nanos: 24 hours music playback
Sheev202 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #15
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
The "7th" gen, which is still referred to by Apple as the 6th gen is identical to the 2010 model. The " new" features are obtainable via a software update which adds:
- ability to navigate by large icons
- new clock faces
- new button function allowing double taping of the power button to either stop/start playback or skip forward to the next song.

I believe ifixit tore it down and found no difference between the two, hardware wise.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:34 PM   #16
ajones46
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monroe, Michigan
I thought that the latest nano had some kind of Nike+ update that doesn't need the shoe sensor? And that the previous model didn't? Not sure.
__________________
2010 MBP, i5, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD; White iPad 2 64GB WiFi; iPhone 4 16GB
ajones46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:08 PM   #17
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones46 View Post
I thought that the latest nano had some kind of Nike+ update that doesn't need the shoe sensor? And that the previous model didn't? Not sure.
The current iPod nano is the 6th generation. It came out in Sept 2010. Apple updated the firmware (from 1.0 to 1.1) to address concerns about battery life. In October 2011, they updated the firmware to 1.2, which added a few things, one of which was the updated functionality to the Nike+ 'app'.

iPod nanos bought before Oct'10 could be updated to gain all of the current functionality. There are no real differences between nanos bought before or after 10/2011 ... only that 1.2 was built in and the graphics on the boxes were updated.

Internally, there may (or may not) have been changes to component suppliers that result in slight differences. But the consensus is that they aren't significant and don't matter.
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:26 PM   #18
ajones46
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
The current iPod nano is the 6th generation. It came out in Sept 2010. Apple updated the firmware (from 1.0 to 1.1) to address concerns about battery life. In October 2011, they updated the firmware to 1.2, which added a few things, one of which was the updated functionality to the Nike+ 'app'.

iPod nanos bought before Oct'10 could be updated to gain all of the current functionality. There are no real differences between nanos bought before or after 10/2011 ... only that 1.2 was built in and the graphics on the boxes were updated.

Internally, there may (or may not) have been changes to component suppliers that result in slight differences. But the consensus is that they aren't significant and don't matter.

Hey thanks.
__________________
2010 MBP, i5, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD; White iPad 2 64GB WiFi; iPhone 4 16GB
ajones46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:15 AM   #19
linkexcpert
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: INDIA
Difference between 6th & 7th Gen Ipod Nano?

difference between ipod touch nano 6th & 7th generation.
linkexcpert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South part of North
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkexcpert View Post
difference between ipod touch nano 6th & 7th generation.
Say what?
__________________
www.ipod.se - the ipod reference site - www.ipod.se
Fralle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Alvesang
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
The current version has SanDisk flash memory whereas the former version used flash memory made by Toshiba. Whether that's worth insisting on the "new" nano is up to the individual user.
Alvesang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:39 AM   #22
iPhoenix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vietnam
No different
iPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:03 AM   #23
greatseven
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
So its just software upgrade cause from apple website there isnt gen 7th. Maybe all of you have that software ?
greatseven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:16 PM   #24
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcgee View Post
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.
I want what you are smoking. If this was true I would ditch my iPod Classic 160gb lol......

----------

P.S. No difference. Just a software update and a price drop.
__________________
2012 11" MacBook Air, 2007 White MacBook, 16gb iPhone 5, 16gb iPhone 5s, 32gb iPad Air, 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 6th Gen Nano, 20gb 2nd Gen iPod, 40gb 3rd Gen iPod
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 02:23 PM   #25
AT101ET
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK (London)
Since the thread has been bumped, I'll give my view. Apple have not released a 7th gen Nano yet. The nano just was sold after apple updated it's software so it's model serial number changed. It offers the same as the older versions which were sold earlier. It's just like the White iPod touch. Its not considered the 5th gen touch. It's the same model which was released with a software update and an alternative to the black touch. It is still regarded as the 4th gen just as the current model nano is still the 6th gen.
AT101ET is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, does the nano 6th and 7th gen run some form of iOS? Zellio iPod 2 Oct 14, 2013 04:39 PM
iPod Nano 7th Gen 1.0.1 cbflip2000 iPod 1 Oct 12, 2012 11:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC