Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RafaMonza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hey guys,

I'd like to buy the Iphone 4s but I have some doubts. I'm from Brazil and there's no way of buying a Iphone there, so expensive. I'll be in the U.S. until january and I was thinking but could not find the best solution for me.

Here are my doubts:

1. Am i eligible for a AT&T, Sprint or Verizon contract?

2. If I buy with a 2 year contract and pay the ETF (early termination fee) in january, I can unlock this fone?

3. Why the price whiteout a plan is $650,00 and the price Phone+ETF is $550?

4. Do any one know how much the unlocked phone will be?

Thanks for the help,

Rafael Monzillo

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Hey guys,

I'd like to buy the Iphone 4s but I have some doubts. I'm from Brazil and there's no way of buying a Iphone there, so expensive. I'll be in the U.S. until january and I was thinking but could not find the best solution for me.

Here are my doubts:

2. If I buy with a 2 year contract and pay the ETF (early termination fee) in january, I can unlock this fone?

Thanks for the help,

Rafael Monzillo

1. The companies usually run a credit check using your social security number which you lack. So you might have to put a deposit down to sign a contract especially since you are a foreigner.

2. According to AT&T they will not unlock your phone under any circumstance. Sprint is unknown for now. However, with Verizon you can have your phone unlocked once your line has been in good standing for at least 60 days (Yes I have confirmed this, I called Verizon and they say they will unlock after 60 days every 10 months per line. That way I will be getting all 5 of my iPhone 4S unlocked.)

3. You also have to factor in the activation fee which is $35 as well as the first monthly bill minimum of $55. You also pay less tax since you bought the phone at $199 rather than at $650. (Based on NYC taxes)

$649*1.08= 702
$199*1.08+35+55+350= $655

You still come out with the phone somewhat cheaper in the end. However with the unlocked you have less hassle to deal with.

4. 16GB = $649 32GB = $749 64GB = $849

orourke

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
If you want to be on-contract with att (and probably the others) prepare to pay a "deposit" that is refundable, to make sure you don't skip out on any bill. For AT&T this is $500. Apparently because you don't have (won't have being a international student) a sufficient credit history.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

1. Most likely not as you need a valid Social Security Number, and the ability to pass a credit check. You may need large deposits if they do let you, The best thing to do would be to go for a month to month service*

2. If you go with AT&T no, but if you go with Sprint or Verizon, you have higher chances (but you must be able to overcome step 1 somehow).

3. Nobody knows, but my opinion is because Apple would've gotten kickbacks from the carrier, but because you are buying the phone without a contract, that equals no kickbacks at all.

4. $549 for unlocked iPhone 4 8GB, $649 for unlocked iPhone 4S 16, $749 for unlocked iPhone 4S 32, and $849 for unlocked iPhone 4S 64GB.

*month to month service: Just pick up an unlocked iPhone, go to AT&T and sign up for a plan without a contract, and pay for it month to month. This is the best route to go, and you'd still be able to use the phone when you go back home as the device you know is unlocked and able to be updated with no repercussions.

Hope this helps :) :apple:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Your best bet is to buy the phone off-contract and unlocked.

Then you just sign up for service with either AT&T or T-mobile (just be sure to specify you want no-commitment service). I'm not sure if they would ask for a deductible if you're not signing a contract.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Your best bet is to buy the phone off-contract and unlocked.

Then you just sign up for service with either AT&T or T-mobile (just be sure to specify you want no-commitment service). I'm not sure if they would ask for a deductible if you're not signing a contract.

I'm an international student as well.

You do not need a SSN, but you will need to pay a deposit of $200-500. I paid a $500 deposit but I will be getting that back sometime soon as I am getting a SSN :D

I would first off, check for coverage in your area... If AT&T is good, buy an unlocked phone so you can take it back and use it in your home country w.o contract some day when you return for a visit. If Verizon/Sprint, they tend to be more expensive monthly but they'll unlock the GSM portion eventually.

Unlocked iPhone prices at on the website, but I hear that ATT off contract phone comes unlocked already. And ATT will not unlock your phone for you, ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.