Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baaadboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Hi All

Today I got a chance to compare LG and Samsung displays side by side.
Both are 13 inch 2011 Macbook Airs
The one on the left is Samsung and on the right LG

Both are at 50% brightness level

1. When looking straight at both displays, samsung produces a tiny bit more natural colors and slightly better contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68317093@N07/6252756897/lightbox/

2. LG has much better vertical as well as horizontal viewing angles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68317093@N07/6252753653/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68317093@N07/6253286344/in/photostream/lightbox/

3. LG is much more uniform. I mean LG has LESS uneven backlighting. Also the dark strip(uneven backlight) on the bottom of the screen is much more prominent on Samsung.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68317093@N07/6253283152/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68317093@N07/6252753653/in/photostream/lightbox/

My conclusion is:
If you use your computer by looking straight all the time, chose Samsung. For everything else choose LG.

My personal opinion is, I would take LG any day over samsung.
The difference in colors is very tiny, but the difference in angles and uniform backlighting is huge. LG being more evenly backlit.

IMHO, whoever said that Samsung is better, is wrong. LG is much better in almost everything. Except slightly(very very tiny bit) better contrast on Samsungs.

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
LG is much better in almost everything.
I can confirm this. LG's display backlight is much better, Samsung usually will have a little gradients (and doesn't mean every Samsung unit has gradients!).

I don't think one is better than the other, while LG has more quality on certain thing, I do find Samsung is better for my eyes if I use the MBA for extended period of time. The backlight just doesn't seems to be as glaring as LG.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Today I got a chance to compare LG and Samsung displays side by side.
Both are 13 inch 2011 Macbook Airs
The one on the left is Samsung and on the right LG

Try comparing about 100 of each of them then get back to us please!

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Try comparing about 100 of each of them then get back to us please!

Well I for one am very happy to see this comparison. There's not many around (and some don't specify which is which, so they're not nearly as useful). Also every reviewer has a different perspective on it.

Of course there's some variation in screens but it won't be that big. Backlight uniformity can vary between models but viewing angles shouldn't vary much.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
We have a dozen 2011 Macbook Airs at my workplace (5 LG and 7 Samsung) and imo, the Samsung is far superior. The LG screens may be a tad bit brighter, but the viewing angles and overall color accuracy of the Samsung screens are MUCH better.

I'd stick with a Sammy for my personal air.. just imo.

baaadboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
We have a dozen 2011 Macbook Airs at my workplace (5 LG and 7 Samsung) and imo, the Samsung is far superior. The LG screens may be a tad bit brighter, but the viewing angles and overall color accuracy of the Samsung screens are MUCH better.

I'd stick with a Sammy for my personal air.. just imo.

Nice to hear. My unit is samsung also. The only problem I see with mine as you can see in the picture is the dark gradient on the bottom. It is apparent when you run safari in full screen mode. Do samsungs at your workplace have those dark gradients as well? The reason I am asking is that most samsungs at apple store that I saw have those.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I have two MBAs with both screens and the dark gradient is much more prominent on the LG. If it were strictly a Samsung issue it would have been discussed ad nauseum.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
My unscientific finding between the two screens, for which I have had both;

a)The Samsung screen is better if you have the LT screen.

b)The LG screen is better if you have the LP screen.

Therefor if you have a or b, you have the better screen. ;)

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I started the original thread about calibrating the lg screen which I had on my 13" MBA. Since then it developed a fault and I returned it for it to be replaced with a new laptop with a Samsung screen.

Out of the box the difference was immediate. Better colour balance and contrast. Even the default profile seemed better than my custom profile on the lg.

As soon as I had calibrated the Samsung the contrast was much deeper and richer and the colour bold. IMO a superior viewing experience and I have no issues with viewing angles. My only thought was, I thought the new unit was ever so slightly noisier and it did have a persistent fan issue with the genius bar said wasn't right , I replaced it again and the 3rd one and the fan issue was go but the idle noise was pretty much the same so I guess it is normal.

baaadboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
These horizontal angles aren't the same...the LG is closer to the camera source, therefore, your looking at the LG screen more straight on vs the Samsung. Not apples to apples but close...

Yes, you are right, but I did a comparison from the other side as well, when samsung is closer to the source, the result was the same, so I didn't bother uploading the second picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.