Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One blog points out that Apple's iTunes Music store now appears to offer the ability to sell videos as well as songs.

This takes advantage of iTunes new features allowing it to manage and play video files.

This feature is demonstrated in the Feel Good Inc single which was used in the most recent iPod Ad (Rollerskating).

The videos for this particular artist are provided with the album purchase only and are not available for individual purchase. Purchasing the album provides you with 4 short .mp4 videos. These particular videos are 480x272 pixels, 30FPS with 44kHz audio

[Ed note: the videos aren't very exciting or good, imo. Not really worth a purchase]

itunesvideosale.png

gorillazmov.png

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Okay - kinda stoopid. You can't preview those videos. Yes, you get them for free with the single - but what's the point?

I was hoping to get a "TV" thing under my "Radio" in the playlist area... for some live news stuff or something. Is this what video in iTunes is for? :confused:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I wonder what the quality of the videos is and whether or not it can be played elsewhere on your mac on windows box ?

also where is the video file stored ?

I hope we get video previews soon, I tried but it lasted 3 seconds with no audio or video :(

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
thevessels said:
awesome!
ipod video / airport AV anyone ?!?!
:D

I'd prefer it if they kept support for the original express to stream video, rather than require users to purchase a whole new one :(

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
AHHH I BOUGHT THIS SONG THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!

I want these videos... how can I redownload it without it charging me?

mikeyrogers

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
I can't believe this. This sucks. What about those of us who supported the Gorillaz and this single since it was first available on the iTMS? I don't feel like spending another ¢99 just to get 4 animated shorts. We should get them for free as well.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
but but steve said no video ipod he was cynical about it!??! and steve said he said he said nobody uses flash players that they just throw em in a draw not be used ever again!!! BUT but but....

yeah steve, REALITY BITES...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
mikeyrogers said:
I can't believe this. This sucks. What about those of us who supported the Gorillaz and this single since it was first available on the iTMS? I don't feel like spending another ¢99 just to get 4 animated shorts. We should get them for free as well.

Check my list - I reccomended this song!

I want videos - I'm a fan of Gorillaz (got their first cd...)

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Do you know what i am thinking. If apple would say start a sort of cinema.. You go to the iTunes Music/Movie Store and you go to movies then you buy a movie ticket...ok. Movies only show at certain times just like in the cinemas.. The advantage of this is that now you can watch movies at home and you dont have to go all the way down to the cinema to watch it. Most people nowadays have home cinema systems anyway so this would be great. I for one would be really interested. The video quality would also be really good since it will be streaming in H.264.
Well this is my thought...take as you wish..but it would be an awesome idea..me thinks

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
CubaTBird said:
but but steve said no video ipod he was cynical about it!??! and steve said he said he said nobody uses flash players that they just throw em in a draw not be used ever again!!! BUT but but....

He also left Apple.

He ALWAYS does this... I think the iPod Photo = Standard, and comes in a 20 GB model and a 30 GB Model and iPod AV comes in a 60 or 80 gb model

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Does not work in Itunes 4.7

I noticed this does not work in iTunes 4.7.1 but does in 4.8. It is very obvious that iTunes is going to integrate video for sale. In fact you could see the signs of this for over a year now and it is just a matter of time until we are downloading full DVD movies.... I am pumped!

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
CubaTBird said:

Steve, nor Apple, pre-announce products.

Example: Conference call (Oct 2004) - they said they would NOT enter the sub-$500 computer market. Two months later....Mac mini.

Never take anything Apple says (referring to non-existing products) as gospel.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
mikeyrogers said:
What are you talking about? I said I got the song when it first came out. Why are you recommending it to me?
I was replying to you, saying i reccomended it... i.e., I already got it and now I'm not getting it again.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
I had already bought this song as well, from the Canadian music store. I went to check for the video just now and the song isn't even available anymore, unless I'm missing something obvious. What's up?

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
freaking wicked. Lets get those music video copyrights out there. (IE: if song has a music video you get that too free!)

This would kick ass. Napster doesn't have that :p

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
dotdotdot said:
AHHH I BOUGHT THIS SONG THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!

I want these videos... how can I redownload it without it charging me?

this happened to me too. i just sent an email to iTunes support. hopefully, they'll let me download the videos…

…if not, there's always limewire.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I can see the music store selling music videos for a dollar each. Encoded in H.264 at 720P, each 3 min video would come in at around 80MB.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Lacero said:
I can see the music store selling music videos for a dollar each. Encoded in H.264 at 720P, each 3 min video would come in at around 80MB.

I can't...

1) Apple wont sell H.264 videos in iTunes because only G5s can play them - iPods can't.

2) The files are huge and large quality

3) They will cost more than $1

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
This isn't 3ivx. it's Apple's MPEG4. If you have 3ivx installed, QT will use the 3ivx plugin to play many MPEG4 codecs and QT will list it as the format.

~Cody

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.