Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
I've been just about everywhere on the web and and completely frustrated.

I have a 3GS and I'd like to use it with T-Mobile, having already purchased an activation kit for it.

The iPhone was on iOS 5 and has modem firmware 05.16.05. I've seen conflicting reports on whether I have to change the firmware to the base iPad firmware or not. I was able to jailbreak it with ultrasnow, but couldn't then unlock it.

I've tried redsnow with tinyumbrella, and it gets to the error 1015 and then when the log for tinyumbrella says it's done, there are 4-5 lines of white text on the iphone that reference greenpoison.

Help appreciated. All I want to do is use the darn thing on T-Mobile, and sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Well, I feel sheepish . . .

I updated the firmware to 06.15.00 and then unlocked with ultrasn0w.

Works perfectly.

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I updated the firmware to 06.15.00 and then unlocked with ultrasn0w.

Works perfectly.

PLEASE DON'T IGNORE !

I'm happy you've got your phone working and i'm in the same exact position right now. got it jailbroken with ultrasn0w and cannot unlock from that point... i need it for tmobile too. BB is 05.16.05. what do i need to do to get it to work on tmobile? please do step by step. you would do me a favor big time! i bought this phone and now i don't know what to do(((((((((((.

also when u upgraded to that FW did it break GPS as i saw a warning on 1 of the sites? please i'm sitting here and waiting for your answer )))))) thanksssss

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
PLEASE DON'T IGNORE !

I'm happy you've got your phone working and i'm in the same exact position right now. got it jailbroken with ultrasn0w and cannot unlock from that point... i need it for tmobile too. BB is 05.16.05. what do i need to do to get it to work on tmobile? please do step by step. you would do me a favor big time! i bought this phone and now i don't know what to do(((((((((((.

also when u upgraded to that FW did it break GPS as i saw a warning on 1 of the sites? please i'm sitting here and waiting for your answer )))))) thanksssss

just use redsn0w check iPad baseband and jailbreak.
then go into cydia and use ultrasn0w to unlock.

caution: there's no gps on iPad baseband.

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I extremely appreciate your help. Does the wifi work after flashing to ipad BB?

I still cannot decided if it's safe to update the BB thing. Do you think i need to wait till hackers release this specific BB update? I'm really concerned about the fact that im gonna be stuck with ipda's baseband forever. Do yo think it will ever happen or should i just go ahead and take a risk with ipad's BB ? also i really need to know if wifi works ( i don't care about gps)

thanks! Have a great day@!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA

I still cannot decided if it's safe to update the BB thing. Do you think i need to wait till hackers release this specific BB update? I'm really concerned about the fact that im gonna be stuck with ipda's baseband forever. Do yo think it will ever happen or should i just go ahead and take a risk with ipad's BB ? also i really need to know if wifi works ( i don't care about gps)

Wifi will work fine after you install ipad baseband. As for stucking with ipad baseband which is 06.15, you can not go back to and I am sure you will stuck forever, unless Apple come up with a baseband higher than 06.15 for Iphone. But I think when that date come, your Iphone solfware will no longer be supported. we can refer back to Iphone 2G and 3G.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011

yeah wifi should work. the only problem with it was mainly gps. also i heard many people having worse service, but when i had my iPhone 3G on 6.15.00 everything seemed fine wifi worked, service was great.

don't think you should just sit and wait because i think it's pretty much a dead end.

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Ok thanks i got it, I'm a total noob with apple devices but my last question is : will or should i hope and wait till some1 updates or do something about this specific baseband update? will it be done in a near future??? if u tell me that there's not gonna be any update withing like 5 months then i'm just gonna go ahead and update it with ipad's bb right now.... thanks guys

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Ok thanks i got it, I'm a total noob with apple devices but my last question is : will or should i hope and wait till some1 updates or do something about this specific baseband update? will it be done in a near future??? if u tell me that there's not gonna be any update withing like 5 months then i'm just gonna go ahead and update it with ipad's bb right now.... thanks guys

Personally, I don't think that is going to happen.

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Alright then.... gonna be busy installing ipad's BB today... although i don't care about gps i'm still gonna be thinking about that missing feature. i just really hope i don't lose anything else along with it (like wifi - that would be a total disaster tho). Well all and all i should have done more research before buying and updating iphone. I'm just glad i didn't pay alot for it... wish me luck on installing a new BB... i'm so nervous right now i'm starting to have butterflies in my stomach....

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Wifi works just fine on my 3GS with iPad baseband 6.15.00.

Enjoy!

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
i'm stuck in Iphone's recoverymode with error :

''no successful firmware download after 60000 ms!! Giving up...''

asuwwan

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
3gs ios 5

i upgraded my old bootrom 3gs modem firmware 05.16.05 from ios 4.3.3 to ios 5.. i did the jailbreak went to cydia and installed Ultrasn0w but it did not unlock the phone !! now downgraded back to 4.3.3 and jailbreak it again went to cydia and installed ultrasnow and still not working!! when i try to manually search for a carrier i get this error ( Unable to load network list ) ... anyone please can tell me whats going on!!!:confused:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
i upgraded my old bootrom 3gs modem firmware 05.16.05 from ios 4.3.3 to ios 5.. i did the jailbreak went to cydia and installed Ultrasn0w but it did not unlock the phone !! now downgraded back to 4.3.3 and jailbreak it again went to cydia and installed ultrasnow and still not working!! when i try to manually search for a carrier i get this error ( Unable to load network list ) ... anyone please can tell me whats going on!!!:confused:

Yes, because Ultrasn0w won't work on the baseband you have 05.16. So, if you want to unlock it, you will have to install Ipad baseband on yours.

LMMMT

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Hi everybody,

I just bought an Iphone 3GS, which I really need to unlock. I jailbreaked it but, since it had the wrong baseband, I had to install Ipad Baseband to try to unlock it.
It worked well I think but now, it is totally blocked on the screen "Activation required"...I really don't know what to do! Could you help me?
Thank you very much!

laurène

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hi everybody,

I just bought an Iphone 3GS, which I really need to unlock. I jailbreaked it but, since it had the wrong baseband, I had to install Ipad Baseband to try to unlock it.
It worked well I think but now, it is totally blocked on the screen "Activation required"...I really don't know what to do! Could you help me?
Thank you very much!

laurène

Which firmware version you have on the phone now?

giz510

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Did you lose GPS?

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it working with this guide http://www.iphonejailbreak.me/tag/update-baseband-5-16-05-to-6-15-00/
Unlocked it too!!!!!!!
fallowed every step carefully...... well now there's no way of going back but i think i'll get an iphone 4s next year when it gets cheaper.... thanks for all the helps!~ Peace out

Did you lose GPS? I also have 3GS with 5.0.1 and 5.16.05 and it seems like iPad BB is the only way to go, unless I am missing something. GPS is kind of a big deal to me. From what I read not everyone loses GPS after iPad BB.....

alexpleasehelp

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Did you lose GPS? I also have 3GS with 5.0.1 and 5.16.05 and it seems like iPad BB is the only way to go, unless I am missing something. GPS is kind of a big deal to me. From what I read not everyone loses GPS after iPad BB.....
no gps. it's gone tho. i have viliv s5 tablet and i have an awesome gps on it but if you need gps on your iphone then forget about ipad BB because im sure u're gonna lose gps

sflynner26

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
get gps working

after i installed ultrasn0w i lost gps so i turned off everything bluetooth, wifi, location services, 3g and cellular data under network reboot the phone and turn everything back on and gps bluetooth and wifi all work with the downgraded baseband

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.