Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adstidham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I have an ibook G4 running a PowerPC G4 processor. I have OS 10.5.8 running and for the most part running well. With the execption of a few software overloads periodically I am pretty content. But I am just curious about putting an intel processor into this laptop. Currently my java is nearly out of date. I've had issues with itunes (Can't connect with the itunes store) and I can't use things like Netflix or Google Chrome. Safari is, adequate, but there are a few things that would just run a little smoother with an intel processor. I would also like to use the mac app store...:confused:I am wondering if there is an intel motherboard that is interchangeable with the one currently in my ibook?? i figure that buying a new motherboard would be cheaper than buying a new macbook. below are the hardware overview i copied straight from my mac. There is a 40 gb internal harddrive that i plan on upgrading as well. I Have a 500gb external for all my file storage.

Model Name: iBook G4
Model Identifier: PowerBook6,7
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Processor Speed: 1.33 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Serial Number (system): 4H6071JBSE7

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There is no reasonable way to upgrade the iBook G4 to Intel. There are no Intel motherboards that fit the G4. A few crazy people have torn everything out and crammed an Intel processor in, but it's a waste of time. By the time you pay for new motherboard and processor and ram (you need new ram too), and new disk drive, and new power and machine the case to fit the connectors, then get a keyboard to work, etc. Just buy a used MacBook.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
You could put an Intel CPU in an iBook. It won't plug into the socket and is a totally different architecture but you could just place an Intel CPU in there loose and close it.

Or.. you could just go to wikipedia and read about what PowerPC truly means and not make the 100th+ thread about computing for the insane.

Last edited:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You could put an Intel CPU in an iBook. It won't plug into the socket and is a totally different architecture but you could just place an Intel CPU in there loose and close it.

Or.. you could just go to wikipedia and read about what PowerPC truly means and not make the 100th+ thread about computing for the insane.

Holy crap! lol Strong post :O To OP, tread lightly with this one! No seriously just go out and buy a MacBook Air...

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE

LOL mate, you just made my day. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There you go! But what Zen is saying is true.

To the OP, basically you can, design your own board to mount it on the iBook... and mount the pheripherals to match its location.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Not possible. How would you get the ports to line up?

You aren't going to save any money this way. Bite the bullet and purchase that MacBook!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
no dont buy that MacBook Air .
Keep the iBook , its a design classic , a true Apple Mac and not just a Apple PC, buy the ASUS ZENBOOK UX21 instead , same internals as the MacBook Air but cheaper and try to be the first to hackintosh it :D

Last edited:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
More work then it is worth, is it possible? I'm sure it is, people have put xBox 360s into a laptop, I can't imagine these people(like Ben Heck) couldn't build something.

But seriously, the iBook G4 is a great little computer and for awhile it was the smallest Mac laptop, although the 11.6" Air has taken that title.

When you do upgrade, if you're looking to save money consider a refurb from the Apple store or a clearance from Apple(assume when you buy something Apple had just realized new produce) Apple does a great job with refurb and making them look and act like brand new Macs.

Reactions: Heeheeriah

thunderboltmac

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
sudo
are you seriously gonna do it????

I have an ibook G4 running a PowerPC G4 processor. I have OS 10.5.8 running and for the most part running well. With the execption of a few software overloads periodically I am pretty content. But I am just curious about putting an intel processor into this laptop. Currently my java is nearly out of date. I've had issues with itunes (Can't connect with the itunes store) and I can't use things like Netflix or Google Chrome. Safari is, adequate, but there are a few things that would just run a little smoother with an intel processor. I would also like to use the mac app store...:confused:I am wondering if there is an intel motherboard that is interchangeable with the one currently in my ibook?? i figure that buying a new motherboard would be cheaper than buying a new macbook. below are the hardware overview i copied straight from my mac. There is a 40 gb internal harddrive that i plan on upgrading as well. I Have a 500gb external for all my file storage.

Model Name: iBook G4
Model Identifier: PowerBook6,7
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Processor Speed: 1.33 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Serial Number (system): 4H6071JBSE7

To be honest, I think if you are not an expert in re-configuring computers, I seriously would not recommend this as it is extremely risky and you could easily crash your computer. Also, all the parts and labour required for this would just buy you a used mac. So think twice before you decide on doing this.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I think most of these replies are misleading or not very clear...

You can't "upgrade" it with an Intel CPU.

What you could do (with difficulty) is rip it apart and basically use the iBook case as a case for a general PC running Windows, or possibly a hacked version of OS X.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...

What you could do (with difficulty) is rip it apart and basically use the iBook case as a case for a general PC running Windows, or possibly a hacked version of OS X.

Good luck with that.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia

Just buy a used MacBook! :eek:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005

Massive fail there in the idea department. Stick to remedial questions.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Massive fail there in the idea department. Stick to remedial questions.
Nowhere in their post did Jethryn say that it is a good idea to shove pc parts in an iBook chassis, just that it is possible. Yeah, it's non-sensical, but stating that it's possible is not endorsing it in the slightest.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
there is really no easy way to do this.
You really have to options;:
a) gut the whole computer. If the computer has an value to you and you really want an intel computer, open the computer and carefully remove all components. There hard been a lot of discussion about going this with an iMac g4 and mac minis
2) Buy a used macbook. Really, I heard on this forum someones school was selling them for like 50$ Early MacBooks and late ibooks look very similar with the addition of a webcam.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Regardless of technical reasons (which were mentioned above), it would be a big waste to gut perfectly working iBook to turn it to franken-whatever-it-will-be computer.
BTW, do anyone has a link to such mod (succesfully done)? I'm asking, because I wasn't able to find no one crazy and skilled enough in the whole web ;).

old-wiz said:
A few crazy people have torn everything out and crammed an Intel processor in, but it's a waste of time

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Difficult or not it's a horrible idea and bad thing to even mention. This is something that goes far beyond your level of understanding with computers.
Once again: What?!

Other people have mentioned shoving PC parts in to the chassis in this thread before Jethryn, but I don't see you harassing them.

"This"... what? The concept that a computer is made of components inside a chassis (at the most basic level). Jethryn made a perfectly good observation on that, so what's your problem?

Your level of contempt and harassment of some people here is just shocking.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
When you ask a question online do you not expect the answers to come from people who actually know what they're talking about? Would you rather have ignorant shots in the dark?

Bad advice/ideas sway people in the wrong direction. They are better off getting no advice. If you're going to bother offering any input you should actually know what the hell you're talking about.

I can see how adrian is bothered by me as he is a common giver of misinformation and ignorant guesses.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
When you ask a question online do you not expect the answers to come from people who actually know what they're talking about? Would you rather have ignorant shots in the dark?

Bad advice/ideas sway people in the wrong direction. They are better off getting no advice. If you're going to bother offering any input you should actually know what the hell you're talking about.
Someone posting something that was incorrect at some point in time doesn't give you the right to harass them for it.

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Opposing ignorant misinformation is not at all harassment. This whole thread seems to be a battle of a small amount of actual knowledge vs. a sea of ignorance.

Someone needs to protect the people that actually want to learn with true facts. Protect them from the delusions that float in the heads of the misinformed people that love to hand out said delusions to people looking for actual facts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.