Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hi everyone.

OK so let me start by telling you that this is my first post and that I'm somewhat a newbie when it comes to the iPhone.

I never really tried to understand what MobileMe was about, but when I installed the iOS5, I agreed to use iCloud and enable the GPS tracking device of my phone (Unlocked iPhone 4 using a T-Mobile SIM).

Now comes the obvious part : I lost the damn phone.
I'm pretty sure it slipped out of my pocket while riding a cab, but this is of no importance.
I tried finding my phone with the iCloud Find my iPhone website but, even though when I called the phone it seemed to be ringing, iCloud told me the phone was offline.

So here comes my question : is this normal?
Does one need to have an iPhone actually using data to be found online, or can a regular, locked, idle iPhone could be found online by iCloud?
Is there the possibility that I did something wrong when activating iCloud?

I am sorry if an answer to this has already been posted somewhere, I did a quick look-up within the forum and via google and couldn't find anything (am I the first guy to lose an iPhone with iCloud installed?).
I also apologize for any mistake in my English as I am not a native speaker, hope you'll be kind to me ;)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The ringing you hear when calling the phone is generated by the network not the phone; it is entirely possible the phone has been found, wiped, and SIM replaced by a new SIM. (I could be wrong, anyone know for sure if a phone not on the network will go straight to voicemail or ring as normal?)

A locked iphone should be findable in iCloud.com if it has service and is turned on. If the SIM has been removed and the phone wiped, then it wouldn't show up as far as I know.

One question though, did you test iCloud Find My Phone before losing it, you're sure it was set and working?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I've also noticed that sometimes it is unable to find the phone for periods of time, even when the phone is on. Sometimes it can't even find the phone that I'm using the Find my iPhone app on. So I would also suggest that you keep trying. It should also give you an email alert when it finds the phone.

Mattany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for your help !
I didn't try to locate my phone before I lost it, but my contacts on iCloud were blank, so I think I didn't set it up properly...
If I don't get any new news from the lost and found, et least I now have an excuse to buy the new 4S ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.