Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Can I make iPad1 facetime ready?

This was probably discussed ad nauseum in 2010, but can the iPad 1 be modified in any way to allow facetime and/or skype? Not sure what the term would be but can I use a USB adaptor and hook up a webcam? As I said, I can't find any threads from 2010 that may give an answer to this and apple.com don't have much information either in Communities. Thanks for your help
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

I have no idea if this works, but a quick google search turned up this blog entry that describes how to get Facetime working on an iPad 1. There's no way of getting a camera connected and working with it AFAIK though.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
This was probably discussed ad nauseum in 2010, but can the iPad 1 be modified in any way to allow facetime and/or skype? Not sure what the term would be but can I use a USB adaptor and hook up a webcam? As I said, I can't find any threads from 2010 that may give an answer to this and apple.com don't have much information either in Communities. Thanks for your help
Just get an iPad 2....
iphone1105 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A camera accessory was under development (iClops, I think) but it was cancelled. There is no way to upgrade the iPad 1 with FaceTime.
Richdmoore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

honestly,

buying a used iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 are the only robust solutions. The iPhone 4 could be locked (and thus cheaper) since Facetime works only via Wifi anyway .
andiwm2003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

thanks for your help. Picking one up for my elderly parents, and with the refurb discounts currently available I thought it would be a good opportunity as not entirely convinced how they would take to it. If they take to their new toy as well as I hope the should then without question the iPad 2 would be the right option, but at the price I don't think I'd want to experiment on their adoption! They are very likely to have it on the coffee table and merely browse pictures of the grandchildren that I stream to them! At the refurb price, an experiment I am willing to make...

Last edited by Confuzzzed; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
Just get an iPad 2....
The camera on the iPad 2 sucks though...but having had both the iPad original and the 2, particularly with iOS 5, the UI lag on the original makes its usability frustrating IMHO so the iPad 2 is really the only way forward...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:37 PM   #8
ashman70
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
The camera on the iPad 2 sucks though...but having had both the iPad original and the 2, particularly with iOS 5, the UI lag on the original makes its usability frustrating IMHO so the iPad 2 is really the only way forward...
What UI lag would you be referring to on the iPad 1? I use an iPad 1 on iOS 5.01 every day and have never experienced the kind of lag to with you refer. If you are talking about graphic intensive games, thats entirely another issue. The iPad 1 is still a very usable device for day to day use, email, surfing, even gaming. I would go so far as to say its a bargain if you can find one used for a decent price. I am not disputing the advances evident in the iPad 2, it excels in many areas beyond the iPad 1, but then you would expect that in a hardware refresh.
ashman70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Maybe I have a duff device but in my experience even firing up a new app without multitasking takes way too long and within certain non-gaming apps, the responsiveness is not what it used to be before iOS 5. Even in silly little games which are not particularly graphically intensive, the responsiveness of the machine is significantly worse than an iPhone 4 or even an iPod touch 4th gen (both utilising the same processor as the original iPad of course). Like I said, I can't speak for everyone but in my experience, this is what I find.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:47 AM   #10
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

Not to continue too far off topic, but I'd just like to back up the OPs UI lag claims on the original iPad. A large number of original iPad users (myself included) experienced a massive slowdown upgrading from iOS 4 to 5. In dinky tasks like Safari and Mail, my iPad 2 (technically, my wife's) now feels like it is several generations faster than my iPad 1, where before the differences weren't as noticeable.

Anyway, I've tried a few cheapie Logitech webcams plugged into my iPad via Apple's USB adaptor, and none were compatible with it. All gave the "USB device requires more power" message.

If you are considering an iPad 2 for FaceTime use, I can honestly say that the front camera is OK for FaceTime performance. The rear camera takes decent video. But for still shots, both cameras are utter garbage, even in decent lighting.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:09 AM   #11
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
I also had lag but to be honest didn't realize it until I got the iPad 2. Once I saw how smooth it was I was very surprised at the performance of my original iPad.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:52 PM   #12
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Yes... you can sell ipad 1 and get iPad 2 with more money. Making and modifying the iPad 1 will be much much harder.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:50 AM   #13
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post
Yes... you can sell ipad 1 and get iPad 2 with more money. Making and modifying the iPad 1 will be much much harder.
That is exactly what I did. I would have liked a better camera but hey, the iPad 2 is plenty good enough particularly for FaceTime. And when the iPad 3 comes out (rumoured with a much better camera) then the iPad 2 goes off to my parents and I have a new toy!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:30 AM   #14
donnaw
macrumors 6502a

The original request mentioned Skype. You can run Skype on the ipad1 but the person you call cannot see you. If they have an ipad2 or use a computer you can see them. Audio works ok both ways.
donnaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:45 AM   #15
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
The original request mentioned Skype. You can run Skype on the ipad1 but the person you call cannot see you. If they have an ipad2 or use a computer you can see them. Audio works ok both ways.
I have moved on from there when I traded in my iPad1 on realising that it was false economy to try and modify that machine in order to be able to do video conferencing/calling. As others mentioned before, the ipad2 is the best and most direct way to do that and I found that out with my experience. Thankfully I traded my iPad1 at a good price so I didn't lose out too much by not listening to advice!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad