Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
So in my adventures of setting up iMessage, I set my Caller ID to my email so it would sync with my iPad. However, now it would appear if I send a text message to someone NOT on iOS 5, they get the text but it sends it as an email, so they also receive an email from Verizon in their inbox.

Anyone else having this problem? Any way to stop this from happening?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So in my adventures of setting up iMessage, I set my Caller ID to my email so it would sync with my iPad. However, now it would appear if I send a text message to someone NOT on iOS 5, they get the text but it sends it as an email, so they also receive an email from Verizon in their inbox.

Do you have this person's cellphone # in your contacts? I think if there's no phone number in your contacts, it'll send it as email.

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
This persons cell phone number was in my contacts labelled as iPhone.

----------

The full fledged process was I sent an iMessage, it failed, so I hit "Send as Text Message" and they got it in their email.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice

Try to turn off MMS. My guess is that it will solve the issue.

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
Why would I do that? Then I can no longer send MMS messages to people...?

daftpunkstu

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Edinburgh
just try it to see if that's the issue? mine sent it as emails if i didnt have the contact's phone number
signature_cheekytonguesmile.jpg
. when you type their name in to search, it usually brings up (for me an imessage contact, a phone number and then an email)

Last edited:

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice

I've replied to at least two hundred emails these days for issues of iOS5 with MMS with two of my apps.

MMS allows to send texts to emails (not sure if this is true in all countries), my guess is that for recipients that are not on iOS5, MMS takes over instead of regular SMS and this causes the issue you had.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
vettori - Exactly the same issue here....

Senario being:

I have had iOS 5 for a few days now and been texting other people with iOS5 with no issues (send button blue, continuing our conversations seamlessly since before iOS 5 update)

My brother downloaded and installed iOS5 last night. I sent him a text today which sent as a text (send button still green, thought nothing of it though) he replied, also showing as an old fashioned text on my phone.

Then I realised that this shouldnt be happening, both send buttons should be blue?

Then just now, his send button shows as blue, so he sent a message and it arrived on my phone as from his email address????

Can anyone explain whats gone wrong here?

Thanks

James

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
My point is, if I turn off MMS then wouldn't I no longer be able to send picture/video messages?

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes it's true. But I'm not saying to leave it off, I'm saying just try it for a message to see if it solves the problem.
I'm sure Apple will look into this problem very soon.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

james-bailey said:
vettori - Exactly the same issue here....

Senario being:

I have had iOS 5 for a few days now and been texting other people with iOS5 with no issues (send button blue, continuing our conversations seamlessly since before iOS 5 update)

My brother downloaded and installed iOS5 last night. I sent him a text today which sent as a text (send button still green, thought nothing of it though) he replied, also showing as an old fashioned text on my phone.

Then I realised that this shouldnt be happening, both send buttons should be blue?

Then just now, his send button shows as blue, so he sent a message and it arrived on my phone as from his email address????

Can anyone explain whats gone wrong here?

Thanks

James

How did your brother set the iMessage account ? Email or phone number ?

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
i had a strange issue today but cleared it up. I tried to text a buddy of mine who has a IP4 and Siri told me she couldn't find any phone to text and offered up his emails. He has iMessages so it worked but trying again gave me the same issue, no phone and offered up his emails.

Then i went into contacts, pulled up his contact and pressed "Send message", it asked what i wanted to use out of a list, i chose his iphone and it brought up a new text screen. I closed it down and asked Siri to send a text to him again and this time and every time after it loaded right up to his Iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.