Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 10, 2005, 11:10 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Michael Dell sinks $100M into Red Hat.

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Michael Dell sinks $100M into Red Hat.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2
narco
macrumors 65816

So no more Windows on Dell computers? What does this mean exactly?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Controversial News of the day for me! That is very surprising... I am very curious on what that was for...

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Mord
macrumors G4

it's because 99% of dells support calls are caused by the fact that windows sucks balls.

he just wants red hat to become a viable alternative for the consumer
Mord is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
So no more Windows on Dell computers? What does this mean exactly?

Fishes,
narco.
as the article says, there really is no relevance as of yet, Dell himself might not have decided to make the purchase, but his personal financial team could have, i doubt this means anything as of yet, but time will tell
Old May 10, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Dell will still support predominantly windows, but I'm sure that about 70-80% of Dell's support costs are a direct result of the utter crappiness that is windows.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Chuck_E_Wonkers
macrumors newbie

Good Move.....another step towards the mighty microsoft empires imminent demise.......Bye Bye MS.......better getter longwind out soon huh........This crap makes me laugh and realise how lucky we are to have Apple....
Chuck_E_Wonkers is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 12:39 PM   #8
AtHomeBoy_2000
macrumors 6502a

I dont know a lot about RedHat, so I ahev a question. How compatable is Windows software with the RedHat opperationg system?

If it would be an easy change over, I see no reason for Dell not to make the switch.
AtHomeBoy_2000 is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 12:52 PM   #9
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeBoy_2000
I dont know a lot about RedHat, so I ahev a question. How compatable is Windows software with the RedHat opperationg system?
It's not. RedHat is a company that sells their own (somewhat customized) Linux distribution. Windows software can only run via emulation, just like on all other Linux systems.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Mord
macrumors G4

with WINE it works, it just ports the windows API's to linux.

(Wine.Is.Not.an.Emulator)
Mord is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 03:12 PM   #11
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
with WINE it works, it just ports the windows API's to linux.

(Wine.Is.Not.an.Emulator)
I don't care what the name of the product is, it is an emulator. It is emulating the entire Windows environment (at the API level, not at the user-level). That's how apps can run on it without modification.

Back when you had to recompile your apps with WINE in order to make it work, the name might've made sense, but that hasn't been the case for a long time.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 03:20 PM   #12
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Dell supply servers with RedHat Enterprise installed and 1/3 years subscription to RedHat support.
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 04:31 PM   #13
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
I don't care what the name of the product is, it is an emulator. It is emulating the entire Windows environment (at the API level, not at the user-level). That's how apps can run on it without modification.

Back when you had to recompile your apps with WINE in order to make it work, the name might've made sense, but that hasn't been the case for a long time.
wine is not an emulator because there is no emulation involved, emulation emulates an architecture, virtual pc is an emulator but it contains no OS it's just an x86 environment, WINE just provides the API's to run windows apps under linux, they both run on the same architecture if you recompiled windows applications for the ppc you could run them with darWINE the mac os x port of WINE.

a single API is not an emulator and niether are a bunch of API's it's just an enviroment, it's like saying x11 is an emulator.
Mord is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 07:09 PM   #14
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Man you guys are REALLY pulling the speculations out of your *cough*. Mike invests in all kinds of projects and if you read the article you would see that that was out of a possible 10 BILLION and was done via MSD Capital LP.

This is nothing. Move along.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 07:14 PM   #15
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_E_Wonkers
Good Move.....another step towards the mighty microsoft empires imminent demise.......Bye Bye MS.......better getter longwind out soon huh........This crap makes me laugh and realise how lucky we are to have Apple....
Yep and tomorrow Apple is going out of buisness because that is what everyone has been saying over the last 10+ years. MS isn't going anywhere with 40 billion in the bank. They could completely flop on Longshot and build another steaming pile after that before they really start hurting. Again move long folks...nothing to see here.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 07:25 PM   #16
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
Man you guys are REALLY pulling the speculations out of your *cough*. Mike invests in all kinds of projects and if you read the article you would see that that was out of a possible 10 BILLION and was done via MSD Capital LP.

This is nothing. Move along.
The public implications MSD to make an investment into Redhat would not be lost upon the directors of MSD. As much as investment of MS into SCO or into Apple. It's small enough to say no big deal but enough to look twice at by the powers that be. Sort of flirting with AMD.
(Any missed acronyms?)

Last edited by macnulty; May 10, 2005 at 07:52 PM.
macnulty is offline   0
Old May 10, 2005, 10:33 PM   #17
Maedus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Maedus Send a message via MSN to Maedus Send a message via Yahoo to Maedus
Quote:
MSD Capital has invested in other public companies, including restaurant chains IHOP and Steak n Shake.
Pff. Who cares about the possibility of Linux on a Dell machine. I'm looking forward to the inclusion of an IHOP with every Dell machine with a BTO upgrade to a Steak n Shake.
Maedus is offline   0
Old May 11, 2005, 03:09 PM   #18
wdlove
macrumors 604

It would seem that Michael is covering all of his bases. It could backfire and burn some bridges with Microsoft.
Old May 12, 2005, 02:08 PM   #19
MontyZ
Banned

Linux just keeps gaining more and more ground, to Microsoft's horror. This is another OUCH for MS.
MontyZ is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion