Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thytallfella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
I just started noticing that on my iPhone 4S when I receive a new text message the text tone will ring twice almost stuttering in the beginning and ending cleanly. It didn't bother me in the beginning until now I am getting annoyed since I constantly think I am getting two messages, but only get one. I've tried multiple different text tones, but all seem to be having the same issue.

Christine1227

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Florida
Registered just so I could reply to this topic.

I have the exact same problem. Bought my 4s the weekend of launch. I have vibrate on along with Tri-tone set for all my alerts (voice mail, text, etc). It stutters/skips right in the middle of the Tri-tone but finishes clearly. However, when the phone rings, it doesn't stutter/skip.

I have resorted to turning vibrate off. It doesn't stutter/skip with vibrate off.

thekjs88

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Mine will do this sporadically on my iPhone 4, too. Don't know how to make it stop but eventually it goes away.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Both my wife's phone and my phone does this same thing! its so annoying! never happened with our 4's and still never did this on our 4's when iOS 5 was put on, just seems to be the 4S (at least in our case)

Has everyone done a restore from a ios5 on ios4 that has this problem? I was experiencing the same problem from an iCloud restore...so wiped the phone and set it up from scratch...PITA..but it fixed the problem

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
The text vibrate pattern was changed in iOS 4 (or one of the point updates). Emails etc get a single vibrate, texts get a 'double' vibrate, which is one short vibration followed by a longer one.

gaza01

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Has everyone done a restore from a ios5 on ios4 that has this problem? I was experiencing the same problem from an iCloud restore...so wiped the phone and set it up from scratch...PITA..but it fixed the problem

This works, I've just done a full restore and it's stopped the stutter.

shawn15p

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I am having the same problem. I went into settings>Notifications>Mesages>Repeat alert Never. Doesn't fix it and it is becoming annoying that when I don't open the message it pops back up in a couple minutes.

ksoze

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Is it possible those are group texts's (multiple people on one text)? I noticed that a text that I had sent to two people, gave two beeps when a reply was sent from one of the recipients.

Thytallfella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
I started thread with the problem. I set the notifications to never remind and only ring once, that didn't fix the problem. But now just a week ago it's working just fine! I don't know what happened, but I am very happy haha

CougarKid

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Notice this happening a couple of times earlier today, bit it's really not a huge deal. After restarting my phone it went away. Let's see if it returns.

Rachetto

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Just got my 4s today and it does the same. It was perfectly normal at first but now when I get a message, the message tone stutters/repeats itself continuously for about seven times (I have it on 'beep' at the moment and have tried other tones) before finally vibrating twice and then stopping.

It only repeated itself continuously twice at the beginning but it's really starting to hack me off now :l

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
it's a fault that can't be remedied by settings. A restore seems the only way. Mine is fine now.

CougarKid

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
I set the phone vibration off on text and it's mostly stopped. Hopefully they'll fix it so I can put the vibrate back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.