Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I have had iOS 5 for a few days now and been texting other people with iOS5 with no issues (send button blue, continuing our conversations seamlessly since before iOS 5 update)

However my brother downloaded and installed iOS5 last night. I sent him a text today which sent as a text (send button still green, thought nothing of it though) he replied, also showing as an old fashioned text on my phone.

Then I realised that this should not be happening, as both send buttons should be blue?

Then just now, his send button shows as blue, so he sent a message and it arrived on my phone as from his email address???? My send button to him is still remaining as green...

Can anyone explain whats gone wrong here? Does his phone number need verifying?

Thanks

James

Last edited:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm not sure, but it sounds like his iMessage account is not currently linked to his phone number - you're messaging his phone, which comes through as a text, but he's iMessaging from his associated e-mail address.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Yeah thats what I was thinking..

I deactivated iMessaging on his phone, then reactivated. Going to reboot now and see.

----------

both now blue, and send from phone numbers rather than email addresses, perfect!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Go to Settings>Messages and make sure 'Receive At' has both the email you want and the phone number you want. This will make things easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.