Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Did Apple not implement a way to delete ALL emails at once in iOS 5? I find it very hard to believe there is still no option to do so. Am I overlooking something here?

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
...and how many people do you think need to regularly delete all their emails? This request is what is ridiculous :confused:

You must not be in any type of business that requires the use of email. Who needs to have copies of all their emails on their phone when they have them already on their computer inbox? You not understanding that is what's ridiculous!

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Android lets you do that in their mail apps. Maybe you purchased the wrong phone for your needs.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Or.....maybe it's you! :p

Could not resist!

What's the purpose of Apple working on their email client and trying to introduce push emails if they overlook such simple features? Where's your common sense answer to that? :eek:

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
What's the purpose of Apple working on their email client and trying to introduce push emails if they overlook such simple features? Where's your common sense answer to that? :eek:

Really, it's just Apple. They do what they think creates the best UI and most people that want to use their stuff, such as myself, just learn to deal.

Personally, I'd rather have a phone that is reliable, even if I have to delete emails individually. I just don't have business emails come to my phone, so I don't have to worry about that flood.

I'm sure somewhere there's a jailbreak app that gives you that functionality, perhaps an independent email client.

daftpunkstu

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Edinburgh
I cant see the point in deleting them off your phone. It doesnt slow it down, you're wanting to keep them on your computer and so it just seems pointless

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I cant see the point in deleting them off your phone. It doesnt slow it down, you're wanting to keep them on your computer and so it just seems pointless

This way when I have my emails coming to my phone I can delete all once I retrieve them onto my computer. There's no need to have them on the phone once they're already in my email client on my Macbook Pro.

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
I could definitely do with this option. Mainly because I read all my emails on my laptop, then go on my iPad and they're all still there unread and I have to go through deleting them all. I can't stand having the little red unread icon there!

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I could definitely do with this option. Mainly because I read all my emails on my laptop, then go on my iPad and they're all still there unread and I have to go through deleting them all. I can't stand having the little red unread icon there!

Exactly. It's a simple option which would take them less than 2 minutes to implement the same way they did a delete all button in the "trash" section.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I've found that the secret to managing mail is IMAP (Unless you run Exchange of course). With IMAP, if I read a message on my iPad or PC, it's already marked as read when I open my iPhone. I limit the number of messages on the phone to 50 via the settings in Mail, Contacts and Calendars.

It *is* useful to have copies of email everywhere. If I send a message to a customer from work, I can see that message in my Sent folder on my iPhone later and refer back to it. If you're seeing the red badge with lots of unread messages when you've already opened them on another device, maybe you can check to see if your email provider supports IMAP instead of POP, and set the mail account up that way instead. Just a thought...

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
My email provider supports both POP and IMAP. The problem I'm having now is that the emails are not pushing to my phone. I have to manually open the mail application to retrieve emails. They should be pushing through on their own correct? Any idea on a fix?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
POP3 accounts are not able to push to iPhone but IMAP are?

POP3 are fetch-style. That's the nature of POP3.

IMAP should be push-able. After all MobileMe mail (and presumably iCloud mail) are push-able and they're just IMAP services under the hood.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Ok thanks I was not aware of this. I figured since the POP3 accounts pushed on my BlackBerry that they would push on my iPhone as well. I'll try resetting them up as IMAP and see if that works.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
How about you keep the thread productive and save your sarcasm for your wife. :D

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Tried setting up my email on my iPhone using the IMAP settings and still can't get it to push the emails to my phone. Still having to "fetch" them. Any thoughts on how I can get my emails to push?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.