Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I just ordered a refurbished iMac G5 with superdrive for $999, but when I had placed the order I noticed that they are charging around an estimated 6% sales tax. I didn´t think I had to pay a sales tax for a shipment to New Jersey and wonder if Apple is correct?

I tried to phone them but they placed me on hold and then the line was disrupted.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yes the online store does charge you sales tax, and it is appropriate to your location as well, so far as i know

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
That´s strange because other stores, according to pricegrabber.com only add sales tax if they are based in the same state as the shipping address.

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
I think the way the tax laws work is if an online business has a physical location in the state that you are ordering from they are obligated to charge you sales tax for that state. I'm not a tax expert, but this was the way it was explained to me once. If there is an Apple Store anywhere in NJ, then they have to charge you tax.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes, what PofD said.

The thing is, all US based online stores are SUPPOSED to charge sales tax, and many don't. That's why on your state tax return they ask you if you've made any purchases online and how much sales tax you've paid. States want their cut too.

Apple doesn't need an IRS audit, so they charge "estimated" sales tax to hedge their bets.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Willy S said:
That´s strange because other stores, according to pricegrabber.com only add sales tax if they are based in the same state as the shipping address.

well they dont need a store persay, just a presense of some sort, i forget it exactly, but im sure that its something more than just a retail store, like if they just have a office in the state they can charge the sales tax

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I went through thie with :eek: Dell :eek: one time and the basic explanation is: If the company does business in the state where the goods are being delivered (e.g. they have a trader's license etc.) they must charge tax.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is somewhat off the topic, but when I purchase hardware and software from the online store, I get charged sales tax since Apple has a few stores in Missouri, but I don't get charged sales tax when buying off the iTMS. Is the law with the iTMS different regarding tax?

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Thanks guys.

I cancelled the order, at least for the time being. I´m going to search for another seller that doesn´t charge the sales tax but offer similar prices.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
yg17 said:
This is somewhat off the topic, but when I purchase hardware and software from the online store, I get charged sales tax since Apple has a few stores in Missouri, but I don't get charged sales tax when buying off the iTMS. Is the law with the iTMS different regarding tax?

That's actually a really interesting question...which led me to Google this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-78598.html

Which led me to this:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/purchase.html

Which is still the same as it was before -- apparently, digital music sales are only taxable in the following states at present: AL, AZ, CO, CT (1%), DC, HI, ID, IN, LA, ME, NM, ND, SD, TN, TX, UT, and WA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.