Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1
simplemind
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to simplemind
iPad 1 will no longer sync or charge when plugged into MBP

Ok, So I finally got around to updating the iPad to iOS 5 and when I go to plug in the iPad via the cable to my laptop (MBP) it will not charge or sync, and I dont hear the little "beep" when I used to plug it in. iTunes does not even register that a device is connected. At first I thought it might be my laptop so I plugged my iPhone in and voila, works every time (in all 3 ports as well) take the iPhone off, nothing. So I thought, I am going to use the cube charger that comes with the iPhone to see, sure enough, nothing, the ONLY thing that will charge it is the iPad charger itself.
It sucks because all I have to do is get iOS 5 on it and I never have to plug it in again... at least I hope.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
kimbermatic
macrumors newbie

Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Ok, So I finally got around to updating the iPad to iOS 5 and when I go to plug in the iPad via the cable to my laptop (MBP) it will not charge or sync, and I dont hear the little "beep" when I used to plug it in. iTunes does not even register that a device is connected. At first I thought it might be my laptop so I plugged my iPhone in and voila, works every time (in all 3 ports as well) take the iPhone off, nothing. So I thought, I am going to use the cube charger that comes with the iPhone to see, sure enough, nothing, the ONLY thing that will charge it is the iPad charger itself.
It sucks because all I have to do is get iOS 5 on it and I never have to plug it in again... at least I hope.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
Go back and restore, but this maybe something else and only coincidental with the upgrade. I have had two friends iPad 1's do the same thing and Apple replaced.
kimbermatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
simplemind
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbermatic View Post
Go back and restore, but this maybe something else and only coincidental with the upgrade. I have had two friends iPad 1's do the same thing and Apple replaced.
sorry, I should have clarified, I have not been able to load iOS 5 because the iPad will not sync. I dont want to do a restore because if I do, it does not look like I would be able to re-sync. I have been trying to plug and unplug and I heard the beep one time, it was charging, but iTunes did not recognize the iPad....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:49 PM   #4
simplemind
macrumors member

anyone?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
shark2th
macrumors newbie

Post Similar problem

The aluminum case on my ipad 1 has worn to point that connector no longer stays engaged when disturbed. The ipad will not normally charge nor will it hook to desktop and be recognized. Realizing that this may be the cord only, I would like some feedback before investing in a new cord. Output on wall transformer seems to be OK and ipad will trickle charge overnight to 100%. I feel that the problem might also be the connector within the unit. As no one I know in my proximity has an idevice which would allow me to diagnose the problem further, could anyone out there suggest another trouble shooting course of action besides taking it to a Best Buys and plugging it in to their demo floor model cord?
Thanx, MK
shark2th is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad