Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
So, I was lying in bed the other night and heard my MacBook Pro beep in the other room. It was my IRC client alerting me that somebody had a joined a channel. Nuts, I forgot to mute my computer before going to bed, and now I was too lazy to get up, go down the hall, and shut off the sound. It was likely to beep again whenever I was just about to fall asleep.

Being lazy, but a total geek, I grabbed for my iPhone on the bedside table, and went to check the App Store for some kind of app that would let me ssh into the laptop. What I saw was... not encouraging.

Is there seriously not one free working SSH client on iOS?
Is there actually one that I'm not seeing, and can you tell me what it is?

I don't mind paying money for an app, but I wasn't about to spend money on one without some research first, and so ultimately, I went and walked down the hall to mute my laptop manually. In the future, though, it would be nice to do from bed.

Since I don't want to spend 20-30 bucks trying out different paid SSH clients, is there anyone out there with a good recommendation, who has tried several apps? I never really trust App Store reviews, they're always so mixed and aren't necessarily up to date.

For anyone in the same boat, wishing to mute your Macs remotely with ssh, it's pretty easy:
Code:
osascript -e 'set volume output muted true'

rkudiyarov

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Server Auditor

Server Auditor is a free ssh client for iPhone with amazing UI designed for touch devices to make administration from iPhone painless, check more on the website http://www.serverauditor.com

No ad, no offers to buy pro version, just simple ssh terminal for people.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't mind paying money for an app, but I wasn't about to spend money on one without some research first, and so ultimately, I went and walked down the hall to mute my laptop manually. In the future, though, it would be nice to do from bed.

If you decide free SSH clients aren't up to your needs, two of the most frequently recommended paid SSH clients are Panic's Prompt ($7.99) and Zinger's iSSH ($9.99).

While I personally prefer Prompt for clean UI, solid feature set, and stability, iSSH has a neat transparent keyboard and it doubles as a pretty decent VNC client.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Huh, I forgot all about this topic. It was quite some time ago that I posted it...

I ended up going with Prompt, in case anyone cares. I bought it pretty much as soon as I found out Panic makes it. They're an excellent Mac software company and I've not been disappointed with their iOS SSH app one bit. Been happily using it for more than a year now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.