Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1
steviem
macrumors 68020

I wish iTunes in the cloud would extend to podcasts!

This is the only reason I sync my iPad daily at the moment.

I really hope apple will get iTunes in the cloud going for podcasts so that when I leave for work the latest episodes are right on my iPad...
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
d21mike
macrumors 68020

I thought Sync over WiFi would do that. Do you have to manually push Sync now to make it happen?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:07 AM   #3
steviem
macrumors 68020

Sync over wifi seems to kill my router, but it is about 6 years old... It's just I'm spoiled with newsstand and my subscriptions there being ready for me despite my computer being asleep in my bag at night, I'd like podcasts to do the same thing.
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Weaselboy

I use Downcast to DL podcasts directly to my iPhone without using iTunes at all. Much nicer solution.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I use Downcast to DL podcasts directly to my iPhone without using iTunes at all. Much nicer solution.
I've tried several of these podcasting apps and they all miss one huge feature that the iTunes method has: Progress syncing. Meaning if I listen to 45 minutes of Macbreak Weekly on my iPhone, then come home and sync (wifi automatically now so its even simpler), my Mac and iPad will both know I was 45 minutes in and pick up where I left off. That one missing feature, coupled with Siri being able to play my podcasts for me if they're in my iTunes library and synced, means these apps just don't work for me.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Weaselboy

Ah gotcha. That would be a nice feature. Maybe email the dev of Downcast and request that. They seem pretty responsive.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ah gotcha. That would be a nice feature. Maybe email the dev of Downcast and request that. They seem pretty responsive.
I might just do that. Especially with the Docs in the Cloud stuff, having it sync subscribed podcasts and play times to iCloud would be dead simple and would make me an instant buyer.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Weaselboy

https://twitter.com/#!/downcastapp

After your post I started thinking how nice a feature that would be and found the Downcast dev Twitter feed. It looks like he is working on iCloud position sync for the next version. I'm not clear how or if that would sync position to a desktop, but it looks like it would work between two iOS5 devices.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
https://twitter.com/#!/downcastapp

After your post I started thinking how nice a feature that would be and found the Downcast dev Twitter feed. It looks like he is working on iCloud position sync for the next version. I'm not clear how or if that would sync position to a desktop, but it looks like it would work between two iOS5 devices.
Honestly, with Airplay, I rarely use my actual iTunes for podcasts anymore, so iOS only is fine with me
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I was really hoping for this to be implemented into iOS 5... I eventually just downloaded instacast and it works great for me since I only listen to podcasts on my iPhone anyways.... But I totally understand your need for icloud syncing across devices.... I'm sure these app developers will take full advantage of the cloud but I dont see how they can sync the position back to your Mac unless they release an OSX version of their app..... I dont think they have access to sync to itunes, or do they
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:41 AM   #11
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

I used to use Downcast but there last version seems to be ridiculously sluggish. I reinstalled the app but still got lags in a lot of what I did.

I moved over to iCatcher and am quite happy
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services