Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
So...yeah. Anyone else get this? I don't care to protect whoever's email this is because...well its spam, screw em'.

33dhvet.png

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I just got my first spam text. Had my number for 4-5 years now and ios5 for 2 days and I get a spam text. Probably just a coincidence, but I really wish I knew how they got my number.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
By any chance did you post your e-mail address in the iMessage thread?

Edit: I see that you did. I warned you guys!

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I just got my first spam text. Had my number for 4-5 years now and ios5 for 2 days and I get a spam text. Probably just a coincidence, but I really wish I knew how they got my number.

I feel sooo left out.

I mean in the past few days some of our phones have received similar SPAM Text Messages but ....

Our iPhones are all on IOS 4.

The messages are a coincidence and not tied to IOS 5, I wish they were tied to IOS 5 so I would never get them! :D

----------

By any chance did you post your e-mail address in the iMessage thread?

Edit: I see that you did. I warned you guys!

I did not do this and still got SPAM Texts.

If people listened to the news lately SPAM Text is the new tool of the telemarketer.

They even said the number it comes from is often faked.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I did not do this and still got SPAM Texts.

If people listened to the news lately SPAM Text is the new tool of the telemarketer.

They even said the number it comes from is often faked.

This is not a text, it's an iMessage. Completely different.

Not sure how your number was harvested for spam text, but the guys posting their iMessage info on the forum without obscuring it were just asking to get spammed.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
So a program or some person is spamming numbers with the letter 'C' and getting hits on iPhone numbers when the message turns blue. Nice.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The fact that it came on iMessage means they must be using a device too... keep replying to annoy them... maybe they will stop annoying you then :) In fact, does it show Delivered or Read when you reply?

Redemption.Man

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I was thinking about imessage spam when i found a way to annoy my friends via imessage. I wrote this blog post about it : http://redemptionman.com/2012/02/07/imessage-spam/

To be honest i disagree i think that there is going be iMessage spam will imessage working on jailbroken IOS devices it will only take one person to start ff the trend and at the moment i dont think that apple have any safe gaurds in place to stop it.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I was thinking about imessage spam when i found a way to annoy my friends via imessage. I wrote this blog post about it : http://redemptionman.com/2012/02/07/imessage-spam/

To be honest i disagree i think that there is going be iMessage spam will imessage working on jailbroken IOS devices it will only take one person to start ff the trend and at the moment i dont think that apple have any safe gaurds in place to stop it.

So basically you resurrected a thread that is old just to tell us that you were able to send multiple messages to your friend?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
To (somewhat) change the direction of this thread, has anyone been receiving boiler-room recorded phone messages (mostly political) on their iPhones ... even though the number is on the Do Not Call list? Does this qualify as iSpam iNfiltration?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.