Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones. I currently have the tour beats by dre and they sound very well, but the build quality is just awkward. The buds are loose and the remote on the cable is broken (cheap plastic). So I was looking for a new pair of in-ear headphones. I'd like the sound and build quality to be very good, and I'd also like a remote which would be compatible with a 5th generation iPod nano (the last clickwheel nano). Thanks in advance!

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Monster Turbines. About the only product monster makes that are actually any good.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I'm looking to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones. I currently have the tour beats by dre and they sound very well, but the build quality is just awkward. The buds are loose and the remote on the cable is broken (cheap plastic). So I was looking for a new pair of in-ear headphones. I'd like the sound and build quality to be very good, and I'd also like a remote which would be compatible with a 5th generation iPod nano (the last clickwheel nano). Thanks in advance!

Forever and always will recommend Shure for starter IEMs

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE115m-Sound-Isolating-Headset/dp/B0031RG33C

caen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Thank you! I was also looking at Etymotic hf5, and they seem pretty serious. Also, I'm definitely going to get some three-flange buds if the headphones I choose do not include a pair in the package. After using the ones which came with my beats, I think they are way better in terms of sound isolation.

Also, could you guys tell me how long you have had yours, if you own the ones you recommend?

Last edited:

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you! I was also looking at Etymotic hf5, and they seem pretty serious. Also, I'm definitely going to get some three-flange buds if the headphones I choose do not include a pair in the package. After using the ones which came with my beats, I think they are way better in terms of sound isolation.

Also, could you guys tell me how long you have had yours, if you own the ones you recommend?

Unfortunately, I own Shure's E2C and they are discontinued (and apparently the price has inflated since.)

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

I've owned the Klipsch S4 headphones for approximately 6 months.

What you should do is go to a store and try the different headphones to see what fits and sounds the best to you.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I also vote for the monster turbine pro coppers. I have yet to see better reviews for any in-ear headphones that cost the same or less.

It also depends on what you're looking for, what you're willing to spend and how much sound quality actually matters to you. If you just really love heavy bass then something like the beats headphones are probably what you want. If you're more of an audiophile you can check out head-fi.org for actual technical reviews about headphones, in-ear speakers, etc.

Last edited:

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
$150???? Jesus.....

It all depends on what you're willing to spend your money on. I have a 350 dollar pair of headphones connected to 300 dollars worth of headphone amp and dac, but I don't really consider it that ridiculous. And at the same time I don't really question anybody who spends a good amount of money for any other particular items or hobbies in their lives.

NTeggerdine

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
Montrose Iowa
I own 2 pair of the Monster iBeats by Dre in ear headphones and I love them!! A little pricy but you won't regret it the sound on my iPod or IPhone even my iPad is amazing.

----------

$150???? Jesus.....

I paid $120 for my Monster iBeats in ear and $199 for my beats by dre on ear headphones. You have to pay for amazing quality. Sure you could spend $20 on headphones but I can't stand poor sound quality my iBeats by dre came with a lifetime warranty and a bunch of extras. Well worth the cost. You can go to most Staples stores and they have. Imply where you can test the in ear and on ear Beats by Dre headphones.

----------

$150???? Jesus.....

I paid $120 for my Monster iBeats in ear and $199 for my beats by dre on ear headphones. You have to pay for amazing quality. Sure you could spend $20 on headphones but I can't stand poor sound quality my iBeats by dre came with a lifetime warranty and a bunch of extras. Well worth the cost. You can go to most Staples stores and they have. Imply where you can test the in ear and on ear Beats by Dre headphones.

caen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I've owned the Klipsch S4 headphones for approximately 6 months.
I've owned my beats for more than a year now. In the first 6 months, they were working perfectly. This is why I was asking how long you've had them, I can't really spend $150 on headphones every, say, 8 months :(
What you should do is go to a store and try the different headphones to see what fits and sounds the best to you.
I'd love to, but in my country/city, we don't really have such products in stores. This is why I'm buying them through Amazon UK.

I own 2 pair of the Monster iBeats by Dre in ear headphones and I love them!! A little pricy but you won't regret it the sound on my iPod or IPhone even my iPad is amazing.
Again, could you please tell me how long you've had them? Thanks!

Also, thank you for your replies!

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

If money is no object, I would go for the Shure SE 535's. A bit cheaper are the B&W C5's. I have both and they are excellent. The Shures beat the B&W's but the B&W's ae superb as well.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I've owned my beats for more than a year now. In the first 6 months, they were working perfectly. This is why I was asking how long you've had them, I can't really spend $150 on headphones every, say, 8 months :(

I'd love to, but in my country/city, we don't really have such products in stores. This is why I'm buying them through Amazon UK.

Again, could you please tell me how long you've had them? Thanks!

Also, thank you for your replies!

Well, the headphones I listed are only about $50-$60 on Amazon I believe. I paid $55.

----------

I had those as well for a while myself. They sound ok, fit me very comfortably, but the sound quality isn't worth the price at all. You can get much better sounding for cheaper.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I've had a set of Etymotic ER4P phones for over a year, and am very pleased with them. The price is stratospheric, but the sound quality soars too. I find the triple flange ear tips work best for me. They work very well on an airplane to reduce the noise -- I leave them in on a flight even when no listening to music, just to reduce the jet noise. The one drawback is common to many in-ear phones. They are microphonic, so you will hear annoying rubbing sounds if you move around a lot while listening. Definitely not meant for the gym. They're very lightweight, and can be worn for hours without discomfort.

But the sound .... best I've ever experienced with phones.

Tix

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
my suggestions are:
  1. Shure SE 215
  2. Klipsch Image S4
  3. UE 500

fairly priced, great sound.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Etymotics have a nice, flat response, but I don't think they're quite the sound signature OP is after.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If money is no object, I would go for the Shure SE 535's. A bit cheaper are the B&W C5's. I have both and they are excellent. The Shures beat the B&W's but the B&W's ae superb as well.

I'm also looking seriously at getting another set of in ear headphones (I already have the Bose, which are quite good, and a Sennheiser set). Over a year ago, a friend recommended the Shure se 420, but I see that that the 535 have superseded them; I've been looking with great interest at themand am seriously contemplating getting a pair. Are they really as good as all that?

Cheers

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I'm also looking seriously at getting another set of in ear headphones (I already have the Bose, which are quite good, and a Sennheiser set). Over a year ago, a friend recommended the Shure se 420, but I see that that the 535 have superseded them; I've been looking with great interest at themand am seriously contemplating getting a pair. Are they really as good as all that?

Cheers

Cheer mate.

In a word, I love the 535's. I had the original 530's and upgraded. I have not regretted it one bit. The sound is fantastic. No coloration. If the music is flat, the Shures deliver flat. They are in my opinion the best set of buds outside of the more expensive Ultimate Ears which I plan on ordering. Right now I use the B&W's as my sort of daily use phones, but when I want critical listening, I reach for the Shures. Many of the buds mentioned here are okay, but not for critical listening. Also, the sound reproduction systems in the iPhone or iPod or any portable device is handicapped but for the most part, the Shures make up for it. Get them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cheer mate.

In a word, I love the 535's. I had the original 530's and upgraded. I have not regretted it one bit. The sound is fantastic. No coloration. If the music is flat, the Shures deliver flat. They are in my opinion the best set of buds outside of the more expensive Ultimate Ears which I plan on ordering. Right now I use the B&W's as my sort of daily use phones, but when I want critical listening, I reach for the Shures. Many of the buds mentioned here are okay, but not for critical listening. Also, the sound reproduction systems in the iPhone or iPod or any portable device is handicapped but for the most part, the Shures make up for it. Get them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the rapid and comprehensive response. I have looked at a number of threads on this forum over the past few months, and have sought advice & opinions on occasion.

I have been spending stupid sums of money on earphones that are good, but not great, and I'd prefer to get a really good set instead - an excellent set - as I love my music, travel a lot (hence headphones and iPods), and am tired of mediocre sound from earphones. When the 420 were suggested to me, I did a quick trawl, and at that time, the 530 were also mentioned. I've been looking at sites and reading reviews, and most seem to agree with you.

Thanks again, and you've pretty much persuaded me.

Cheers

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Thanks for the rapid and comprehensive response. I have looked at a number of threads on this forum over the past few months, and have sought advice & opinions on occasion.

I have been spending stupid sums of money on earphones that are good, but not great, and I'd prefer to get a really good set instead - an excellent set - as I love my music, travel a lot (hence headphones and iPods), and am tired of mediocre sound from earphones. When the 420 were suggested to me, I did a quick trawl, and at that time, the 530 were also mentioned. I've been looking at sites and reading reviews, and most seem to agree with you.

Thanks again, and you've pretty much persuaded me.

Cheers

Glad to help. You're like me. I want not just good sound but as good as I can get. To date the SE-535's have not let me down. In fact I am going into Helsinki by bus and I think I want to listen to the new Coldplay CD via those bad boys. Gonna put the B&W's back in their case. :)

Order, listen and enjoy mate.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.