Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hey all,

I'm rocking my 13" i5 (sandy bridge) Macbook Air when after that EFI firmware update, I noticed something peculiar.

SOMETIMES (sporadically) after using my computer on battery, I will put it to sleep and then plug it back in after around 20-30 minutes. I will be using the same apps, but the CPU temperature at idle (95-100%) reached 84-94C. When I restart the computer, the CPU goes back to idling at its normal CPU temp (45-50C)

I am well aware of what causes CPU temp increases. I also realize that 94C /technically/ is under the TJMax of the CPU which is 100C, but this is obviously not normal behavior

This thread is purely out of curiosity as this is not a replicable issue, for me at least. It has only happened 3 times out of how many times I've used my computer on battery, put it to sleep, and then use it plugged in again. I'd appreciate anyones inputs.

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
This happened to me once. Put the computer to sleep, unplugged it, left it overnight, plugged it in the morning. Temps were over 80C until I restarted it. So now I just turn the computer off over night... not like it takes a long time to boot up :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This has happened to me and I have seen it reported elsewhere. I'm guessing we'll see another EFI update at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.