Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Sylonien
macrumors regular

Magic Mouse eating Battery like crazy

Is it just me or is it a problem?

When my brand new iMac arrived, the Magic Mouse only had 5% battery left in it even though it was switched off at first (eliminating the chance it was drained during shipping or whatever.)

I put some rechargeable in them 2450Mh (Energisers) and they drained within 7 days. I use about 6~ hours computing every day.

And now I've tried some new Ansmann 2600Mh rechargeable and it's been less than a week and it's down to 49% already. (plus I didn't use it a full day yesterday, I was ill...)

I really want to know whether yours last longer or is it normal?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Mine have lasted about 2 months or so. Have you tried standard batteries? The rechargeable batteries you're using may not be able to hold a charge well.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:17 PM   #3
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

weird.. I thought they had good battery life. THey came with batteries? Perhaps you got a lemon.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Lennyvalentin
macrumors 6502

Are you actually using the mouse until it dies, or just until the battery indicator says the batteries are drained?

Don't trust that indicator, it's only guessing as to how much charge is left, and typically, gets it wrong by a HUGE margin. Batteries aren't like a fuel tank of a car, there's no way to accurately judge how much energy remains. So just continue using the mouse until it stops working or until it can't keep a reliable connection to your computer anymore, and don't pay any more attention to the battery indicator.
Lennyvalentin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Sylonien
macrumors regular

I know that rechargeable's aren't that good compared to normal ones but since Apple sells rechargeable as well, so I thought they should be fine with them.

I use the Ansmann ones for my external flash gun for my camera and surely those things drain a hell lot more battery and they lasted fine for a long time.

I used the original ones that came with the mouse till it said it lost it's connection. And those ones only had 5% when I turned on the mouse.

Something wrong with the mouse perhaps?

I'll try and use them till it dies with this charge.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:40 PM   #6
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Mine is fine. Last a month at least
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Dark Dragoon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylonien View Post
I know that rechargeable's aren't that good compared to normal ones but since Apple sells rechargeable as well, so I thought they should be fine with them.
One thing to note is that the 2450Mh Energisers and probably the Ansmann 2600Mh are the old style NiMH where the manufacturers tried to cram as much capacity into the batteries as possible, resulting in high capacity batteries which will discharge themselves pretty quickly even when not connected to anything, sometimes in a matter of a few weeks.

This makes them suitable for devices where you'll run them down quickly (and charge up just before use) and need lots of capacity, but not suitable for low power devices which you expect to last for a while.

The batteries Apple uses are the newer lower capacity hybrid NiMH (rebranded Sanyo Eneloops), which will hold their charge for a long time (very little self discharge even after a year).

Regardless of this though, it does sound like it's draining the batteries rather quickly, and having the batteries which came with it arrive at 5% is rather odd.
Dark Dragoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

High Capacity

Re-chargebales work fine for me....Typically a week before swap out.

Normal store purchased...About 2 day's max.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals