Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The radios sending information all the time would certainly drain the battery.

Do you have Push on for iCloud or other services? I believe Push will do that (constantly check to see if new info has arrived).

If you don't have Push on, then I wonder if more people can run this test and see if this is a consistent problem.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Mine does the same thing. However you do realize that when you go into General > Usage it calculates your iCloud storage, this may be the cellular usage you are seeing.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Did you upgrade from a iphone 3g or 3gs? I remember when i upgraded from my 3g to the iphone 4 and I had issues with the battery. I had restored the data from the 3g onto the iphone 4 and that was causing issues. Had to restore and not use the backup in the end.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Sorry I forgot to include.

Ahem:

I HAVE ALL LOCATION SERVICES TURNED OFF!
I have all system services TURNED OFF!
I HAVE ICLOUD TURNED OFF

So why is this data sending?

Try it all for yourselves....Turn everything off! and the data is still sending.

I turned off siri, i message, and everything I could think of, but data is still sending. why?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
However you do realize that when you go into General > Usage it calculates your iCloud storage, this may be the cellular usage you are seeing.

Agreed. This might be causing the issue.
Reset the data, let the phone sit for sometime, and then go back and check it.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Mine does not seem to do that. I reset the data to zero. I left that screen went back to GENERAL and then went back and it was still at zero. I then went out to my homescreen, back into settings, still zero at usage.

I then opened my multitasking bar, closed settings completely, went back and it showed 1kb. I then did that multiple times, and it still showed 1kb. Doesn't seem to be doing much data anything for me when I'm not actually using any apps after it's cleared...that is with many many of my apps running in the multitasking bar.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I have every possible data-using setting disabled. The sent stat seems to raise slowly, however the received is going up pretty quick.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Mine does the same thing. However you do realize that when you go into General > Usage it calculates your iCloud storage, this may be the cellular usage you are seeing.

i wish bro, but i have icloud turned off, as well as everything else as my post states.

I encourage everyone to try it theirselves, and they will see that data is constantly sending.

And those with the old iphone 4 will see that data is NOT constantly sending so this is a 4s issue only.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I did this and now about 5 minutes later I have 28KB sent and 50KB received. I do have Fetch on for every 30 minutes, so maybe I just caught it in a cycle, but it looks like constant data streaming may indeed be happening.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I did this and now about 5 minutes later I have 28KB sent and 50KB received. I do have Fetch on for every 30 minutes, so maybe I just caught it in a cycle, but it looks like constant data streaming may indeed be happening.

i have PUSH turned off with everything manual

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
i wish bro, but i have icloud turned off, as well as everything else as my post states.

I encourage everyone to try it theirselves, and they will see that data is constantly sending.

And those with the old iphone 4 will see that data is NOT constantly sending so this is a 4s issue only.

I'm going to check on one of my iPhone 4's later tonight to verify. But right now it's definitely happening on my 4S.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Great find!

I did notice that taking off push icloud and push exchange drastically slowed down the cellular usage!

However, it is still ticking away.. at something..

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Did you upgrade from a iphone 3g or 3gs? I remember when i upgraded from my 3g to the iphone 4 and I had issues with the battery. I had restored the data from the 3g onto the iphone 4 and that was causing issues. Had to restore and not use the backup in the end.

This is interesting! I upgraded from a 3G, but I am not suffering from the reported battery drainage. However, my lifetime talk time carried over when I backed up my data from my 3G via iTunes. Also, my current talk time period has not reset like it used to with my 3G. My 4s' last reset is the day I activated the phone. As stated in past threads/posts: I too have experienced increased up time while using the phone, but standby time has decreased considerably.

I do not doubt that people are experiencing excess battery drainage, as it (the responsibility, cause and effect) may default to Apple in order to find the culprit. However, it does not mean 4s users cannot try to locate and subdue the culprit. :)

EDIT: I missed a few posts , as I tend to take a few extra minutes to create a reply, but I think iCloud, fetch and push notifications are culprits, because they tax the phone which in turn - taxes the battery. I think the main culprit is IOS 5 though, as Apple knows this due to the decrease in standby battery time. People are reporting battery issues who are still using the iPhone 4 and iPads, as they recently upgraded.

Last edited:

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
What about iMessage? Do you have that turned on? Could it be from that?

turned iMessage off and SIRI! still data streaming.

my wife's iphone4 has iOS5 but her's isn't constantly data streaming, and she has icloud off, location services ON, and imessage and siri -non-existent-

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
some apps still send data even when i turn everything off. Did you close everything, reboot phone and then do this?

closing everything does not mean apps are not running

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
some apps still send data even when i turn everything off. Did you close everything, reboot phone and then do this?

closing everything does not mean apps are not running

yes I did a network reset, and then a setting reset, and it cleared all the apps.

try it for yourself! you will see

----------

How about "find my iPhone" or "find my Friends" do you have that turned on?

its off bro, my icloud, and location services are off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.