Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
jason525
macrumors newbie

iTunes forcing me to Setup or Restore iPhone, why?

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my iPhone 4 that I can't seem to resolve.

Currently using Windows 7 (64 bit), iTunes 10.5.0.142, and have iOS 5 installed.

The problem is that every time I plug my phone into my computer to sync, it only gives me the option to "Setup my iPhone" by either Setting up as new, or Restoring from an old backup.

When I try to restore from backup, I just get random errors like a file can't be found, or "unable to restore," etc. Thankfully, I don't lose my apps / contact info when I setup my phone as a new phone but it's really a pain to have to do this every time I want to sync (because it also has to copy music back onto the phone and that takes a while).

This has been happening for over 2 months now with this phone. It even happened on an old installation of Windows 7 with older versions of iTunes and iOS. I'm wondering if there might be a hardware issue with the actual phone itself.

If that isn't it does anyone know what might be causing this problem or anything I might try to fix it?
jason525 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting