Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Brannon
macrumors regular

iPhone 4S automatically goes into recovery mode (glitch) Be careful

My iphone 4S was literally sitting on my desk with nothing plugged into it but it was detected in itunes over the wireless sycning and i was jailbreaking my ipod touch 4g and the second it went into dfu mode so did my iphone. Except i was not touching my iphone and there was nothing plugged into.

I just repeated the process simply putting my iPod touch 4g into DFU mode while my iPhone 4s was connected over wireless sync to my itunes. I noticed it kicked my iPad 2 into recover mode as well that is also running iOS 5. except it was not even detected in itunes i do not think.... this is interesting...

As soon as my iPod touch went into DFU mode so the iphone went into recovery mode, just sitting there with no wires connected. So be warned, this was not a one time thing, i just repeated it.

Here are the instructions on how to get any iPhone out of recover mode! And yes it worked for my iPhone 4S 3 times in a row!

http://www.geekology.co.za/blog/2009...ery-mode-loop/

Just a heads up guys!

Last edited by Brannon; Oct 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Brannon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Hold down both buttons or restore it.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Brannon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Hold down both buttons or restore it.
That does nothing but reboot it into recovery mode... i would refer not to have to restore it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

A restore is the only way then.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Brannon
macrumors regular

Has anybody else had this issue yet?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:14 PM   #6
evilblob
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm guessing the jailbreak app uses a similar process to determine attached devices as iTunes, so it is picking up the devices attached over WiFi as well, but I'm not sure about that.
evilblob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:15 PM   #7
alphaod
macrumors Core

Disable WiFi sync next time, and use Tiny Umbrella is kick it out of Recovery mode.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Brannon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Disable WiFi sync next time, and use Tiny Umbrella is kick it out of Recovery mode.
I tired tiny umbrella.... It did not work for the 4S.....

And I was jail breaking with Limera1n, I guess LikeRa1n prolly saw those devices in iTunes and kicked them into recovery mode, but it should have only done the iPod plugged in over USB.....

I will try it tomorrow with out LimeRa1n open and see if it's LimeRa1n or iTunes...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:58 PM   #9
AnotherBrian
macrumors regular

This didn't happen to me when I jailbroke my iPhone 4 to resale. I do have my iPhone 4s to sync over wifi but it wasn't syncing when I did the jailbreak. I also have the iPad which didn't do it either.
AnotherBrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:40 PM   #10
mkucrzy
macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4s went into recovery then my wife's went into recovery at almost the same time. I was jailbreaking an iPhone 3G and didn't realize the connection until reading this. I was about to restore but I had just put in a bunch of notes I didn't want to lose so I tried Tiny Umbrella and it worked on both phones for me. I thought they were trying to force the update but it seems not to be true. Also used Limera1n, BTW.

Last edited by mkucrzy; Nov 30, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
mkucrzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone