Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
siddiki
macrumors newbie

iPad1 upgrade to IOS5 highly unstable

For some reason, my iPad has become very unstable since upgrading to ios5. Just while surfing the web (Mac rumors forum), in the last 10 minutes, safari has shut down 5 times. Been doing a lot of that lately, regardless of which website I am on. Anyone else seeing this?
siddiki is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:12 AM   #2
MacRy
macrumors 68020

Yes I've noticed Safari is more unstable since the update too. I have never had it crash on me before.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Just asking... have you tried to power the iPad down and then reboot? That usually fixes wonky apps. If that doesn't work I'd try a restore. Safari should not be unstable unless you are going to poorly coded sites or bad java scripts.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:58 AM   #4
BrennerM
macrumors regular

Safari is definitely less stable for me since iOS5 on my iPad 1. But it is also noticably faster so I can live with the tradeoff. I'd say it crashes (closes) on average maybe once per hour of web browsing. Before iOS5 I would guess it was once per 100 hours. I have not changed which sites that I am browsing.
BrennerM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:00 AM   #5
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
I soent an hour with a Genious yesterday for the very same problem.

iPad 1 + iOS 5 equals lots of sudden quits and crashes.

I have rebooted, restored, set up as new to no avail.

Here si what we did last night.

Put the iPad in DFU mode and erase all.

Set up iPad and restore from pre-iOS5 back up.

So far (12 hours) no crashes or quits for me, and that is a good stretch as it was quitting every 30 seconds before this.

The genious said some aspect of the firmware or underlying os must have become corrupted.

But that seems to be working for me. I will know more when I get home and can use it more.
seamuskrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Bluemeanie1976
macrumors 6502a

I've had an issue on another website whereby occasionally I type in the text box, and safari shuts down. Cannot replicate on other websites, and I've already restored again.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:46 PM   #7
weespeed
macrumors 6502

My iPad 1 safari also crashes once an hour it seems.
And my iPad 2 has weird safari glitches too. Sometimes going from portrait to landscape, web pages stay in portait and there's that linen background on the right. I can't zoom in or anything.
Flipping it back and forth fixes it then there's a flashing line, like the web page is trying to render.
Closing safari and re-opening it leaves a black line across the page. It's annoying.
weespeed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Chiisu
macrumors member

Same here

I've tried several things (full reboot, private browsing, etc) with only temporary improvements. Safari and web enriched apps ( Editions, Flipbook, etc) seem to crash frequently. I never experienced anything like this before the iOS 5 update.

Written on my iPad.
Chiisu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

I was also getting crashes and ended up restoring the iPad. So far it seems to have helped...but it definitely wasn't stable previously.
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
poloponies
macrumors 68030

We still have 2 iPad 1's in the family. Rock-steady on iOS5 and no performance issues, so obviously something else is at play.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:56 AM   #11
izajeenyus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddiki View Post
For some reason, my iPad has become very unstable since upgrading to ios5. Just while surfing the web (Mac rumors forum), in the last 10 minutes, safari has shut down 5 times. Been doing a lot of that lately, regardless of which website I am on. Anyone else seeing this?
I had the same issues but EVERY app would crash within 30 seconds after launching. Restore from backup didn't work, so I did a full restore WITHOUT the backup (set up as new iPad). Its a pain, but everything SEEMS to be fine now... (crossed fingers)
izajeenyus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad