Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globality

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a navgation app among these three?

I know it has been discussed a lot but since iPhone 4S is out I hope that someone already used them on 4S. I do not want to buy all of them and there is no way to try it out so your opinion is sincerely appreciated.

My requirement:
1) Offline map, speak street names (I assume all 3 have them)?
2) Good GPS signal. I know it is related to hardware but somehow I heared that Tomtom GPS singal is worse than Navigon on iPhone 3GS without their car kit? I think iPhone 4S should be better?
3) Route: My garmin GPS almost alwasys give me best route that I would like to follow. Not sure if any the routes given by them are equal?
4) Lane guidance And better say "Keep left/right" etc.
5) Battery drain is not a problem as I use charger all the time in the car.
6) Poi is important but I can live without it
7) Traffic not sure never used that before.

I know there are other free options such as Waze and Mapquest. Believe me I tried and am not impressed. I want something stable. I actually like Telenav but again I prefer offline map.

Thanks!

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I think Garmin has the nicest interface!! I have it and have never had any problems!

Edit: But Navigon just announced this new interface which I really like!

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
MotionX GPS Drive not an option? It does do offline maps. So it works w/o any GPS signal or data.

IMO, best GPS app on the iPhone. It's only $20 a year. :cool:

globality

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I think Garmin has the nicest interface!! I have it and have never had any problems!

Sounds promising. I have been using Garmin GPS unit for many years so interface wise I should have no problem. I was having a Windows Mobile phone and Garmin Mobile XT does not speak street name. This should not be an issue for Garmin iPhone version?

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Sounds promising. I have been using Garmin GPS unit for many years so interface wise I should have no problem. I was having a Windows Mobile phone and Garmin Mobile XT does not speak street name. This should not be an issue for Garmin iPhone version?

Yup it will say the street names! I used to have a Garmin GPS last year and the iphone app works alot better than even that!

globality

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks to all and it looks like Navigon Has most votes now. Really wish I can give them a try one by one to make sure they fit my taste. But I guess I will start with the cheapest one Navigon my Region and if I like it then all set. Otherwise try Garmin. Tomtom seems to be most expensive among three.

----------

MotionX GPS Drive not an option? It does do offline maps. So it works w/o any GPS signal or data.

IMO, best GPS app on the iPhone. It's only $20 a year. :cool:

Thanks. Will check this out as well.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks to all and it looks like Navigon Has most votes now. Really wish I can give them a try one by one to make sure they fit my taste. But I guess I will start with the cheapest one Navigon my Region and if I like it then all set. Otherwise try Garmin. Tomtom seems to be most expensive among three.

----------

Thanks. Will check this out as well.

If you're not in a hurry I would wait for a sale, especially for Navigon. I think I purchased the Navigon USA for ~$25. Since Thanksgiving is coming up, it may go on sale for black Friday.

f34r

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I use TomTom not really had any reason to change it. It had a lot of bugs to begin with but it's had a lot of updates and usually gets the new maps for free when they update the software.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Is there a difference in the accuracy of the traffic features between TomTom and Navigon? That's a pretty important part of this for me.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
$59.95 for Navigon North America?

Why isn't the "free" Google alternative made available for the iPhone? There are other free Google apps available for use on the iPhone...

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Currently use TomTom but may try Navigon after reading this thread! :apple:

The Nav system in my 2011 Terrain, with the latest map update avaliable, uses Tom Tom and I think it sucks big time. There are many locations that I can't access with TomTom that the Garmin (portable device) and Navigon (on my iPhone) find with ease.

Oh, Navigon gets 5 stars and a big thumbs up from me!

To the OP: Navigon works great for me on my iPhone 3GS and I don't have a car kit.

Last edited:

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009

Edit: But Navigon just announced this new interface which I really like!

Did you also read that Navigon will charge for the map update?

The app updates will be free to all existing users, although if you want to load up new maps, that'll be a one-time fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.