Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daede86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Hi guys!!!

i've found some guides to mod a macbook pro without backlight putting a backlight keyboard (and it looks pretty easy!)
i'm just wondering.. does someone know if i can do the same with my late 2010 macbook air?? i can't find anything..

thanks a lot!

bye bye

daede86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Actually no.. but i remember it wasn't so hard to find it!! :)
maybe it was a white macbook.. i'm not so sure! i just had a quick look then i realized it wasn't a macbook air, so it was't for me!
i'll check if i can find it!

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
These mods would be very difficult. The macbook pro and air keyboards are different and how would you get a macbook pro keyboard? Plus how would you put the lighting circuitry, These computers are very compact.

daede86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
i have thought it wouldn't have been so difficult because the 2010 and 2011 macbook look almost the same.. so do you think it's not possible?
my idea was to buy the grid with the led system from the 2011 macbook air and plug it in my 2010.. crazy? :)

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Actually might work if there is a power source on the MB, assuming the light grid has room beneath the KB. I heard the reason the 2010 did not have backlighting was the LED height. Perhaps Apple was thinking ahead and actually had the connection available on the 2010? It adds 0.08lbs, can you live with the extra weight?

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you are truely modding then there is power on the motherboard you can tap.

Get your soldering iron out.

You probably would be able to control it like on a 2011 MBA as you need the interface tie in to the motherboard.

mm9

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Macbook Air Late 2010 - Adding Back-Light to keyboard on A1369

Could you point me to this power source. I have been looking all over and don't know where to place a socket for it??

Best

Mike

If you are truely modding then there is power on the motherboard you can tap.

Get your soldering iron out.

You probably would be able to control it like on a 2011 MBA as you need the interface tie in to the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.