Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderboltmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
sudo
i personally have never used it and i honestly prefer usb 3.0 over the thunderbolt port, because you need to buy the wire and no one i know uses it.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I use it everyday (as MiniDisplay Port) for connecting my MBP to an external display, but I haven't had experience with anything else as far as thunderbolt is concerned.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I have not use it yet.. but when I do it will be used as a mini display port.. connected to an adapter.
I would love a thunderbolt memory stick. Except it would be like 100$ for 8gb of flash.

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I would love a thunderbolt memory stick. Except it would be like 100% for 8gb of flash.
Beside the simple thing that 8GB Flash sticks usually don't even need USB 2.0 speeds. And the fastest are still far away from needing more than USB 3.0.
Who would buy a thunderbolt stick where the controller alone probably costs more than the entire stick.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Once

For data transfer from my iMac to my Air. I'm waiting for the newer, larger SSD'S to appear on the market, and will then buy.

For now, it's a cable, sitting with other cables that I will use in time.

Mind you, I don't need my dock connected anymore! (must remember to disconnect it)

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Still waiting for Thunderbolt external drives that don't cost a fortune/have unnecessarily large storage volumes (8TB? Really?)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I use a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter to connect my MBP to my external monitor,but I haven't used it for high speed data transfers yet. Still waiting on some thunderbolt hard drives.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
External GPU

I can't wait for Village Instrument's Thunderbolt Dock. I am going to use that with my MBP for massively better GPU power!!!! (I EXTREMELY HOPE that they will let the notebook display be used). :D

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I use Thunderbolt in target disk mode between my 2011 Macs.

Over on the Mac Mini forum we talked about using a base Mini with HDD upgrades as an external drive. Apple has listed a couple refurb lately and it would be close to the cost of a 2 TB LaCie but far more flexible and without the performance limitation. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The external enclosure that I want, I cannot afford (or rather I cannot justify the cost of it) and it would only work with my MacBook Pro and nothing else.

chrism88

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Midlands, UK
I Use is all the time connected to my Thundebolt display,
and then other devices connected through that.

Works great, plug in one cable and my display and devices are all connected

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Now 10gbps sounds amazing.
Twice as fast as USB 3.0
But not many peripherals are out yet :/
I guess we have to wait couple years for them to start making them and become cheap

dylan.shenton

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
England
Haven't used it for anything other than connecting as a MiniDisplay port, however in the future I'd LOVE to have an graphics card dock, 27'' display, RAID drives all chained off it. In good time, thunderbolt will become a bigger part of how you use your MacBook. Having the power of a beastly tower PC at home, then just unplug it all and boom! You've got your nice portable MacBook again.
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.