Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

intel_ivy_bridge_chip_promo-150x130.jpg

As noted by Tom's Hardware, Intel announced during its earnings conference call this week that its Ivy Bridge platform has entered volume production, with the company expecting to begin deliveries to computer manufacturers by the second half of this quarter. It will, however, take some time for Ivy Bridge to make its way into shipping products, with Intel's partners shooting for a Spring 2012 debut.
CEO Paul Otellini confirmed that Ivy Bridge 22 nm processor volume production has already begun, which is a rather significant achievement as there have been apparently no major hiccups in the implementation of its 3D transistor technology. There has always been the question how Intel defines "volume", but vice president Mooly Eden told me years ago that Intel would only consider a production process volume production if it affects "millions" of processors.
Intel had previously outlined its Ivy Bridge roadmap as targeting a launch for the first half of 2012, and so the latest news confirming that the company is on track with its new 3-D transistor technology bodes well for an on-time launch.

Ivy Bridge will offer a number of benefits for Apple's notebook lines, opening up the door to quad-core processors in the 13-inch MacBook Pro and bringing significantly faster graphics and new OpenCL capabilities to the MacBook Air. Ivy Bridge will also support ultra high resolution displays and Intel has committed to Thunderbolt support alongside USB 3.0 in the platform.

A minor refresh to Apple's MacBook Pro line is expected any time now, with the update set to carry the line through until Ivy Bridge is ready.

Article Link: Intel's Ivy Bridge Platform Enters Volume Manufacturing Ahead of Spring 2012 Product Launches

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
This is the Macbook Air I'm waiting for. I'm keeping my C2D until this arrives. Even if it takes well over a year.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
No transistor issues this time Intel ;)

This is the Macbook Air I'm waiting for. I'm keeping my C2D until this arrives. Even if it takes well over a year.

It will. ULV parts lag platform launch quite a bit. Might see an air update late summer or next Fall. I'm not sure what Intel's Ivy Bridge ULV schedule looks like.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I just went by the local university bookstore; they were advertising $100 off their 13" MBP models.

Coincidence?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
still waiting on High-End Sandy bridge Processors!!!!!!

eitherway, I am super excited for ivy bridge: thunderbolt, usb 3.0, pci-e 3.0, better energy efficiency in notebooks, faster all around, next gen intel HD graphics with directx 11 support, 3D transistors,

how long until Ivy-Bridge extreme? thats what I am waiting on q1 2013?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This is great news, can't wait for new macbook (air/pro)

Same here.

I upgrade/by a new Mac based on a simple principle:

If the computer waits for me to make the next entry/move etc. I am still good and the processing speed is adequate.

Once I catch up and have to wait for the computer to do its thing it's time to get the fastest model.

So far it has always taken me about 3 years to catch up in speed, but I am already there now and waiting.

But, since I want a MacBook AIR/pro without a drive etc. I'll wait.

Wouldn't mind if they made a 21 inch BookPro:)

greekappi

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
still waiting on High-End Sandy bridge Processors!!!!!!

Yeah, really! This article mentions nothing about Mac Pro's either. I've been waiting for Sandy Bridge Mac Pro's, maybe they'll jump straight to Ivy Bridge Mac Pro's? :D

c3pa

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
Would this be on the upcoming MBPro refresh already in November, or will we have to wait for next years' model?

By the way, when is it most likely that the new model comes out? February next year?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
No transistor issues this time Intel ;)

It will. ULV parts lag platform launch quite a bit. Might see an air update late summer or next Fall. I'm not sure what Intel's Ivy Bridge ULV schedule looks like.

Totally no big deal. This one will do me just fine until then. :)

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
great news!

It would be lovely if they released macs with this processor this year.

I'm getting an iMac :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

I'm also hoping they drop the 4GB and 128GB SSD down to the $999 model as well.

Can't say I really have any major complaints about the 2011 MBA though, but a little more battery would be appreciated. And also some kind of external Thunderbolt graphics booster for when I am at my desk.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Would this be on the upcoming MBPro refresh already in November, or will we have to wait for next years' model?

By the way, when is it most likely that the new model comes out? February next year?

Don't hold your breath on a MBP "refresh" this year--Apple is unlikely to update anything before the holidays.

Sure, it COULD happen, but historically it has not.

We'll probably see Ivy Bridge MBPs towards the end of the first quarter of 2012.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Don't hold your breath on a MBP "refresh" this year--Apple is unlikely to update anything before the holidays.

Sure, it COULD happen, but historically it has not.

We'll probably see Ivy Bridge MBPs towards the end of the first quarter of 2012.

that'll be cool if it happens along with a redesign. i'm hoping for a high res 13" with discrete graphics. remove the odd, who cares.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Yes, I guess I made a great decision when choosing to wait until 2012 for new Macbook Air. :)

Also a question to those that knows better:

Which one is/will be better, Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.