Set up as new, THEN restore from iCloud? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Jantelagen
macrumors member

Question Set up as new, THEN restore from iCloud?

I'm experiencing some battery issues with my 3GS running 5.0, and yesterday, I did a restore, followed by restoring from iCloud when prompted by the phone itself.

Not much of a difference.

So, since I don't want to lose all my messages (which I do get back from iCloud) but still get my iPhone to be snappier and have acceptable battery life again - could I set it up as new, and then import things from iCloud? Maybe everything except my camera roll, my settings and my messages would be imported this way, which wouldn't be different from doing the same with iTunes pre-iOS 5/iCloud.

Are there any benefits from doing an iCloud restore vs. doing an iTunes restore?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2
blueturf
macrumors member

I was having battery, gps and data connectivity issues. I did a restore then setup from backup from iCloud. Still had the same issues. After that I did a backup from itunes, then a restore and then setup as new phone. The gps issues were gone. Didn't wait to see how the battery and data problems were. I then did a restore from the itunes backup. This was yesterday morning and I have had no issues since. GPS is working, battery usage has been good and have not had any data connectivity problems.
blueturf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
tnt220
macrumors newbie

I had severe battery issues and did as follows

1. Sync with itunes to make backup
2. restore as new from itunes
3. restore from backup

battery usage normalized
tnt220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
fingernagel
macrumors member

I had a sever battery issue and just did a complete restore without getting back the old stuff from a backup. Now the battery seems to be fine again. I made a backup in iTunes and another one in iCloud, but the first time I did restore from there, that is where I get the issue from. I really would like to restore just a few apps because of the progresses. I think the problem from restoring the old backup has to do with the settings in general and not from just one app. Anyones thought about this?
fingernagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:50 AM   #5
macbookflasher
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to macbookflasher
Set up as new, THEN restore from iCloud?

Its not showing in my device... can you please let me know how you done it?
macbookflasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

The only way to do this is that I know to backup through iTunes, and then modify the backup, removing everything you don't want restored. Then, restore said backup. (It'll likely error, but it will have restored what you wanted it to.)

It's a bit of an involved process.
CyBeRino is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Tags
backup, battery, icloud, issues, restore