Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo posted what appear to be screenshots from the development version if iTunes Mobile. The iTunes-enabled Motorola phone is expected to arrive in mid-July according to an email posted by Gizmodo.

Apple and Motorola announced the plans for an iTunes-compatible Motorola cellphone back in July 2004. The phone, however, has seen delays attributed to reluctance from mobile carries from supporting the phone.

Most recent comments from Motorla's CEO placed the phone's delivery "in the next few months".

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
B-52 Macer said:
I hope they'll put it in the RAZRs, they are nice!

so do i!

but.....this is nothing special. even the screenshots are bland...oooh 2nd post!

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not overly impressed. I've had a Motorola phone since the StarTac and I'll be honest... their software is kind of goofy. It works fine, but it's kind of clumsy. I was hoping to see some major improvements from Motorola with the help of Apple, but it seems to me this is just an iTunes Mobile app running on top of Motorola's sub-par software.

Sigh... I'm hoping for more.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
What's the likelyhood of thie making it into other vendor's phones?

Anyway, I wonder who would really use their phone as an "iPod" if you will.

Anyone?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's got that ugly Moto font... I hope it adopts iPod photo font, which looks much nicer.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Yeah, I don't really care about this for some reason. The marriage of iTunes and a cellphone just isn't hitting the geek factor for me.

And you can gosh darn well bet that SprintPCS won't be using that phone for the next 5 years, and we're still trying to teach them about the magical technology known as "bluetooth"

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
iGary said:
What's the likelyhood of thie making it into other vendor's phones?

Anyone?
I would... assuming it would be more of an iPod than phone. I doubt that a phone that can play music will be a hit. More or less all new phones from Nokia and SE can do that. An iPod that double as a phone would be a different story though

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
The real question is: How involved was Apple in the actual development of the phone. Obviously Apple developed iTunes Mobile, but that is just a piece of software. Really, I'm not looking as forward to this anymore. :mad:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Not too excited about music on my phone, although I am curious to see what this thing will look like. I'd be much more interested if Apple were designing the entire GUI. A cell phone that had the look and feel of Tiger (Mac OS Cub?), with or without iTMS, would be schweet.

tamtam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2004
iGary said:

I don't buy into everyone wants to carry one device to do everything. All in one devices always end up as compromises. I will stick to using my phone and iPod for what they are designed for in the first place.

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
just thinking about this...why the hell do you want iTunes on a phone? even the iPod doesn't RUN mobile iTunes! they must be thinking of some crappy store interface...it seems to rubbish for apple to lend their name to a piece of tat like that.

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
user interface?

Apple make the best user interfaces - the software they produce is known for ease of use.

Motorola make good phones with terrible user interfaces. They are known for the best hardware in terms of phones - and feared for the abject misery that their user interfaces cause.

Still, they say opposites attract...

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
enoch said:
Apple make the best user interfaces - the software they produce is known for ease of use.

Motorola make good phones with terrible user interfaces. They are known for the best hardware in terms of phones - and feared for the abject misery that their user interfaces cause.

Still, they say opposites attract...

apple also make bloody good hardware thats just as stylish. if apple wanted to make a phone, why didnt they? if they didnt want to, then why make a half-assed iTunes for mobile, people can just buy a Shuffle...

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
Why is everyone so surprised?

We are talkking here about a Moto phone with iTunes Mobile. Nowhere Apple or Motorola ever stated this was the iPhone everyone was waiting for.... There will be a bunch of disappointed people this June/July. And I am not sure why, they both were clear on that for several months now. So, just set your expectations lower. Maybe, Apple will surprise us in June, but don't count on it!

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
MarcelV said:
We are talkking here about a Moto phone with iTunes Mobile. Nowhere Apple or Motorola ever stated this was the iPhone everyone was waiting for.... There will be a bunch of disappointed people this June/July. And I am not sure why, they both were clear on that for several months now. So, just set your expectations lower. Maybe, Apple will surprise us in June, but don't count on it!

You're right. People were expecting something else. I know I was! Regardless, Apple's part in this specific device is still unclear, although it seems more and more that they simply added their iTunes Mobile app to what might be an existing phone with minor upgrades.

jcontonio

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2002
Specs

I just hope it's

1.) GSM
2.) Bluetooth/iSync compatible
3.) is a flip phone
4.) has an Apple logo on it somewhere and matches my powerbook.

Until then, I'll stick with the Sony Ericsson I just bought off ebay that doesn't ring =) I don't think I'd use the iTunes functionality at all...I just want a good phone with good bluetooth support, unlike all of Motorola's phones. Way to support standards guys.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Are you guys kidding? I think this will be a HUGE success for Apple and Motorola. A LOT more kids and people in general have cell phones than they do iPods. Apple could make a fortune in Japan alone with iTunes on cellphones. Kids there go crazy over this kind of stuff, and that eventually spreads here. The moment the first kid starts playing is favorite tunes on his cellphone in school, you can bet there will be a mad dash by all his friends to do the same ... and so on, and so on...

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
B-52 Macer said:
I hope they'll put it in the RAZRs, they are nice!
I've got a RAZR v3 and so does my biz partner, and they ARE beautifully designed, but, have a few technical glitches in them.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
MontyZ said:
I've got a RAZR v3 and so does my biz partner, and they ARE beautifully designed, but, have a few technical glitches in them.
Ok, then I hope they put it in the next RAZR revision :D

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
MontyZ said:
Are you guys kidding? I think this will be a HUGE success for Apple and Motorola. A LOT more kids and people in general have cell phones than they do iPods. Apple could make a fortune in Japan alone with iTunes on cellphones. Kids there go crazy over this kind of stuff, and that eventually spreads here. The moment the first kid starts playing is favorite tunes on his cellphone in school, you can bet there will be a mad dash by all his friends to do the same ... and so on, and so on...

I agree, just a while ago i recorded some piece of music into my t637 and heard it elsewhere and i was like WOW it would be soooo cool if i could have my favorite songs on this phone, but too bad it only has like 2 megs TOPS of memory if not i would record more songs into it. AND as a side note, i bet the phone will be shown at the WWDC its just in a few weeks from now, less than a month. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.