Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
what does it mean when I start up my powermac G4 it simply shows the little folder and flashes a question mark and the old mac smiley logo? It also opens the CD tray.

This is on a machine I am trying to restore from a CCC dmg image. The harddrives were wiped and I did a restore in disk utility on another mac (10.7) with this image.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
what does it mean when I start up my powermac G4 it simply shows the little folder and flashes a question mark and the old mac smiley logo? It also opens the CD tray.

This is on a machine I am trying to restore from a CCC dmg image. The harddrives were wiped and I did a restore in disk utility on another mac (10.7) with this image.

It seems that is does see any system files on your HDD.

You did a restore from Lion, is that what you mean? I guess you have partition/format your boot drive using APM or apple partition map. Since your other Mac is an Intel and running Lion it must be formating the hard drive as a GUID partition table.

PCC will not recognize a GPT drive as an OS drive.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
A PowerPC system needs to have the OS installed on another PowerPC when you use a different computer. What you restored onto that disk will only work in an Intel Mac.

Also.. do you understand that 10.7 won't run on a PowerPC? The highest a G4 can possibly run is 10.5.8.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Let me be clear about what I did on Lion.

I pulled the HD from the G4, connected it via USB to the Lion machine that had the .dmg image of the G4 on a DVD from when I first got it running 10.4.

Basically I simply used Lion to copy the files from the .dmg image to the hd.

Regardless of the above - it didn't work. So now I am going to try target disk mode. Which type of firewire cable do I need, I see some with different ends...will this work Firewire Cable

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Basically I simply used Lion to copy the files from the .dmg image to the hd.

You shouldn't copy files from .dmg to HDD. If it's bootable image, you should restore it to HDD with Disk Utility (there's "restore" option in DU). If .dmg was created properly and HDD will be formatted using Apple Partition Map (not GUID) it should work.

BTW, only one of those discs you've listed above will work with your MDD. This with 10.2. Rest are machine specific (earlier Power Macs models). OS 9.1 will be too low for 867 DP (MDDs were shipped with 9.2.2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.