Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stevejobscovertiteled-500x340.png

The Associated Press obtained an early copy of Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography and shared some highlights.

In particular, they share Steve Jobs' reaction to HTC's 2010 introduction of an Android phone that shared many features of the iPhone. Jobs told Isaacson that Google's actions amounted to "grand theft."
"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs said. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."
Jobs met with Google's Eric Schmidt later and told Schmidt he wasn't interested in settling for any amount of money. Instead Jobs told Schmidt, "I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want."

Jobs' attitude against Android helps explains the lawsuits that have come from Apple against both HTC and Samsung. Both legal actions have resulted in countersuits as well as attempts to ban sales of devices around the world.

Article Link: From Steve Jobs' Biography: "I'm going to destroy Android"

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Good. That's exactly the attitude Apple should continue to have about Android with Steve gone. It's a cheap knock-off of a beautiful product that took no imagination to copy.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Rightly so. Specially after that switch Mr. Mole did to him introducing the first Android.

rsshelas

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
He could have killed android if he allowed flash and made a new design instead of the iphone 4s. Not that it isn't a great phone, but it could have beat android in so many ways.

It could have? I think IOS is already beating the android

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Android is one of the most poorly executed "ideas" in the history of technology. Rubbish.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
He could have killed android if he allowed flash and made a new design instead of the iphone 4s. Not that it isn't a great phone, but it could have beat android in so many ways.

Yeah, God knows if Apple took the same exact insides from the iPhone 4S, but put them in a new shell, Android would be all like "No!!!1! We're gonna stop copying now! Bummer dude!! Weaksauce forever!!!" :rolleyes:

And Flash? Really? Does anyone really miss Flash on their iPhone or iPad? I don't. First, my battery lasts longer without it. Second, my device isn't chugging to load that crap. Third, it's a virus portal that I don't have to worry about. And fourth, Flash barely works on a lot of mobile devices anyway.

boonlar

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
It could have? I think IOS is already beating the android

I think android has more market share now or it will soon at least. Android is ok but the fragmentation sucks. Waiting for an app to be made for your particular device is stupid.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
That's the two worst ideas I've heard. Flash is horrible on battery life for mobile phones and why does Apple need to come out with a new design every year?

They've already sold 4 million iPhone 4S'. They must know what they are doing.

Oh, the iPhone 4's revolutionary design is so 2010 </sarcasm>

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Steve don't worry. . . We'll destroy Android for you ;)

Not that Apple has to try though. Competition is good and so is choice. I choose Apple. (I know it's extremely early but just imagine what iOS 6 will bring.) Don't stone me!

Can't wait for the book next week.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
I wonder if the quote is real. Not only didn't he destroy Android he didn't even manage to spend any money not doing it. Instead he saved up 40 billion more.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008

I just lost some braincells reading this.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Whats surprising is that this quote is actually true. Jobs was literally on his death bed working to destroy android, such passion is so hard to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.