Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1
eroxx
macrumors 6502a

all of a sudden, itunes won't sync: "waiting for items to copy"

I changed around my aperture and went to resync with my phone, and it has been stuck on "waiting for items to copy" for a few hours ... I deleted the ipod photo cache but that didn't seem to work .. ??
eroxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:56 AM   #2
eurogaroto
macrumors newbie

Idem

I have exactly the same problem. And I've seen more people with this problem on Spanish forums but haven't seen any solution yet.
eurogaroto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:19 AM   #3
AfternoonDelete
macrumors member

Visited Genius Bar yesterday for an unrelated reason, but brought it to their attention. Three Geniuses looked at the situation, ran tests, even reinstalled iTunes (which I'd held off doing). Nobody could fix it. Not even the reinstalled iTunes resolved the issue.

I'd figured it was a bug from the start. I still think it's going to be fixed with 10.5.1.
AfternoonDelete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:19 AM   #4
eurogaroto
macrumors newbie

more details

I forgot to tell y tried to sync with iTunes on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.5) and on my iMac in the office (OS X 10.7) and it didn't work on both of them. But also have an iPad2 and could sync it just fine.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
TSX
macrumors 68030

Restore your iPhone, and if you get a build not available for your device, restore on a different computer. This should solve your problems.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Does your itunes freeze while you do it? I had a similar issue when I tried wifi sync for the first time. It wouldnt copy my games from the iphone to my macbook air. The only thing I had to do was let it sit overnight.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:09 AM   #7
eurogaroto
macrumors newbie

Smile Fixed!

I did something similar to this.
  1. Select the iPhone on iTunes
  2. Select any category (Info, Apps, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U, Books, Photos) make one modification
  3. Click Apply (sync will restart, even if it's already stuck at "Waiting for items to copy")
  4. Problem solved!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
portow
macrumors newbie

After doing a reboot, restore, turning off icloud serves, here's what worked for me, courtesy "coordinate" at discussions.apple.com:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16396729#16396729

Quote:
This might help -- I had the same problem upgrading to iOS 5 on a iPhone 4 -- it got stuck on step 6 or 6 every time, waiting for change to be applied.
I remembered from a previous iOS upgrade that Voice Memos didn't sync quite right and tied up synching between old and new iOS versions of Memos... the solution then was to either delete the voice memos on in iTunes or on the phone (can't remember which).
So I deleted all my Voice Memos on the phone and in iTunes, and the syncs work fine now.

Worked and explains why all my voicememos in iTunes were duplicated. I figured that might have been related to the iOS5 upgrade.

Anyway, I deleted all the voicememos off my iPhone (and turned off music sync [though I don't know if this is related]) and it's fixed!
portow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:45 PM   #9
lnferno
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurogaroto View Post
I did something similar to this.
  1. Select the iPhone on iTunes
  2. Select any category (Info, Apps, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U, Books, Photos) make one modification
  3. Click Apply (sync will restart, even if it's already stuck at "Waiting for items to copy")
  4. Problem solved!
If the problem happens again, you go through this same procedure?
lnferno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:05 PM   #10
Critterbug
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Critterbug
I've tried all this and more. Nothing has helped.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:24 PM   #11
B737
macrumors 6502a

i had this problem a while back on 4.x...
it ended up being a corrupt file.

i deselected sync photos...
synced the phone, everything went fine...
then i started checking photo folder one at a time until the error came back which isolated the folder containing the corrupt file.
once i removed the suspect files everything was fine after that.

i suppose the same could apply to an App, Mp3 as well...

very frustrating
B737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Accident
macrumors newbie

Possible solution to "Waiting for items to copy"

I found an alternative solution at this blog that worked for me (and lots of others, judging by his comments):

http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2011...py-sync-issue/

- Delete all copies of Voice Memos from your iPhone AND from iTunes (check none are lurking under Music (unknown artist etc.).
- Then re-sync.

Worth a try if other methods haven't helped.

All credit to Peter Upfold for this solution.
Accident is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 07:53 PM   #13
dagaz
macrumors newbie

And now, in February 2013 I'm still getting this problem - all voice memos deleted from both iPhone and iTunes, tried everything else in this thread and still stuck at the 'waiting for items to copy' point, running latest iOS (6.1.2), Mac OSX (10.8.3) and iTunes (11.0.2).

Bloody iTunes, it's enough to make me switch to Android when my current contract runs out.
dagaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:29 AM   #14
gad
macrumors newbie

Patience has its rewards

I have a lot of music -- showed "waiting for items to copy", with no progress bar for about half the day, when restoring my iPhone 5S but it eventually worked!

Although for some unknown reason iTunes does not display a progress bar, I found one on my phone by going to Settings>General>iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. Helps a lot because I could see something was happening.
gad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone