Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Bought a used MBP (latest version AFAIK, #a1278) with no box, no disc. Ordered Snow Leopard from apple. Bought Agility 3 SSD.

I put in the SSD with the brand new snow leopard DVD and attempted to boot holding "C" to boot from the DVD. The optical drive spins up then spins down less than a minute later and the screen sticks on the grey apple logo.

From all the googling I did I take it this might be an issue with compatibility between the dsic version and the MBP version, yet I don't understand how this can be it when they are both current?

Can it be that the SSD is not formatted for apple out of the box? I feel that if this was the case it would give me a problem AFTER it gets past the grey apple screen?

Any ideas?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is this a retail Snow Leopard disc? If it is, the retail discs are not current. They are either 10.6.0 or 10.6.3. Nothing else. For Snow Leopard, you need a 2011 MPB restore disc.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Yes it is a retail version labeled 10.6.3.

Prior to trying the brand new retail disc I attempted to install the osx using my 2010 imacs install disc via target disc mode and it simply locked up both computers, not working.

Is there any way to get the proper disc?

This is ridiculous

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

get a lion thumb drive or possibly they can install snow leopard for you if you take it to the apple store

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
You can contact Apple and they should be able to sell you the OEM disc for a price (assuming it came with a disk and not Lion preinstalled).

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Here's what you do:

Install the SSD in your 2010 MBP.

Install Snow Leopard on it with either the retail disc or the 2010 MBP's OSX install disc.

Run Software Update to update it to 10.6.8.

Transfer the SSD to the 13" 2011 MBP and it should work fine.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I have a 2010 iMac. I could swap out the SSD in there for my new one and try what you suggested, but that is not optimal. I installed the 2nd drive in the imac myself and have it pretty wedged in there. ;)

Would a Lion thumbdrive work on a blank, new drive? If so I might just bite the bullet and get Lion

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Well, this does not seem to be working.

I can't imagine Apple would prevent you from installing the newest OS on their newest hardware....

I'm stumped

peetyrd

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
This might lead you in the right direction. There is some way to lock the start up keys if the Mac senses it's booting from a different hard drive. If none of the start up keys work, than that is the problem...it isn't a DVD drive issue. Put back your original hard drives, go in to your utilities, and disable this feature. You can then put your new hd in and pushing down the C key will work and allow to boot from the disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.