Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adventhp1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
ok so i love gaming but i also love my mac and all the exclusive programs it gets, i have got boot camp (windows 7 64bit) and i have the 2009 mbp with the Nevada Ge force 9000m (or something like that).

i was wondering if i could upgrade my mbp graphics card so i could play more top tier games my specs are:

8gb ram (upgraded recently)
500gb hard disk (also upgraded recently)

and all the rest is standard stuff

so can i upgrade or should i just buy a pc:confused:

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
You can't upgrade the graphics in nearly all laptops, and even those that support it, they are marginal upgrades at best.

It depends on how serious you are about the games, if you're fine with running new titles at medium you can get by cheaper. It also depends on how much you want to spend, set an annual budget. It that's $3000 a year, then buy a 17" Macbook Pro every year. It's is $300 a year, you're in trouble. You'll have to buy for two years and then go back to running new titles at medium that second year. So yeah, the most cost effective way is buy/build a PC.

Or the alternative is give up this race to play the latest game on the PC. I did that years ago.
I still play only a few games on PC with any regularity; Rome Total War (2004), with mods. Medieval 2 Total War also to a limited degree. I did buy Starcraft II when it came out but I don't really play it. I also play Battlefield 2 w/ the Project Reality mod. For everything else there are game consoles. My 13" Macbook Pro runs all of these at Medium-High and I just don't care about new stuff coming out.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
When the external TB driven cards come out then you will be able to upgrade.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
When the external TB driven cards come out then you will be able to upgrade.

I already got notification from Magma. $979 for the cage, plus video card, plus monitor and peripherals. It's a spruce goose. $979 buys a whole lot of PC desktop computer...

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Your best option would be wait until the 2012s come out and then sell yours and get a new one if you want to play games. The new Intel Ivy bridge processors are going to be one hell of a chip.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I already got notification from Magma. $979 for the cage, plus video card, plus monitor and peripherals. It's a spruce goose. $979 buys a whole lot of PC desktop computer...

Agreed, but if someone wanted a PC desktop, they wouldn't have been here asking this is the first places. As long as Apple keeps the current TB connector, it will be useable for future generations of computers and then you can just upgrade the card at hopefully a lot less of an expense (but then pricing is what drives the market).

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010

Ouch. I originally thought the external graphics card through TB would be a viable solution, not at that price...

At $200 plus video card, I'd be okay with it. But I doubt that'll happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.