Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
brsboarder
macrumors 6502a

Thin but protective iPhone 4s case?

So, I got the incipio feather case, but after watching those youtube videos, I am a little nervous that even with this case, my iphone glass might crack if dropped accidently.

I'm wondering what the next step up is? I definitely don't want something like the otterbox defender

Is there an alternative to the otterbox commuter, or something a little thinner than that but protective?
brsboarder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:26 AM   #2
dthree36
macrumors regular

I purchased the Book Book just because of the design. A friend of mine has a Belkin Gell type case that is really thing and rubbery. She has dropped her phone numerous times and it has survived. I personally would get a case that would be able to absorb some of the shock when dropped. I am no Otterbox fan but the Otterbox Impact series is very similar to my friends case and is pretty thin.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3
davidra
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsboarder View Post
So, I got the incipio feather case, but after watching those youtube videos, I am a little nervous that even with this case, my iphone glass might crack if dropped accidently.

I'm wondering what the next step up is? I definitely don't want something like the otterbox defender

Is there an alternative to the otterbox commuter, or something a little thinner than that but protective?
Lifeproof. Expensive, but appears to be solid. Just got mine in the mail and installed it yesterday.....and dunked it in the sink as well (on purpose). By far the thinnest, least obtrusive case, but like all cases with front protection there are some issues. SEveral threads on here about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1251905

www.lifeproof.com
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

I currently have an otterbox commuter which isn't terribly bulky, but doesn't show off the design of the phone very well.

I'm getting a Belkin grip vue today which is very thin and should provide decent protection. I've heard the buttons can be hard to press though. I'll update you later today once it arrives.
jfrancis04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
zman98
macrumors member

I think Lifeproof offers the most protection in a somewhat small form factor. I have it on my son's iPhone since he is more likely to get caught out in the rain or otherwise get his phone wet. I have an Element Pro Vapor on my phone.
zman98 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:32 PM   #6
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

There's got to be something thinner/smaller than the Otterbox Commuter. Got mine today, seems big for what it is.

Any suggestions on a thinner case that can take some bumps and is somewhat rugged?

What's with Otterbox not offering a belt clip case for the Commuter? Guess you have to spend the extra and get the bigger Defender if you want the luxury of being able to clip it to a belt or pocket ... unless you want to go searching for band-aid solutions from third parties.

For the price, Otterbox could do much better.
entatlrg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:18 PM   #7
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
There's got to be something thinner/smaller than the Otterbox Commuter. Got mine today, seems big for what it is.

Any suggestions on a thinner case that can take some bumps and is somewhat rugged?

What's with Otterbox not offering a belt clip case for the Commuter? Guess you have to spend the extra and get the bigger Defender if you want the luxury of being able to clip it to a belt or pocket ... unless you want to go searching for band-aid solutions from third parties.

For the price, Otterbox could do much better.
The Commuter can be had on Amazon for $22'ish.
mpossoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsboarder View Post
The two are generally in opposition to each other. You have to sort out where you're willing to compromise. Is thinness more important than impact protection or the other way around?
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories