Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
when do you think apple will come out with a 2 ghz mac?

the wintel world will have a 3 ghz machine on the shelves at the end of this year, probably around the time the macs hit 1.5 ghz on their towers

once macs reach 2 ghz, i don't think most consumers will care that much about clock speed when looking for a machine, but i think from now up to the 2 ghz mark is important for apple to reach on one of their machines soon...for helping sales

i think os x has probably helped a lot with switchers already and once consumers perceive macs as fast enough for them, compared to PCs, then more people will hopefully make the switch

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
by the time we hit 2ghz, intel will have reached 4 ghz and apple will still rely on duals

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
nah, actually, by the 2 quarter of next year, IBM will have enough GPuLs for Apple and Apple will have a board design ready. IBM expects 2ghz(when IBM expects something, you better believe them, IBM is a multi-multi-multi billion dollar company, they dont **** around like Motorolla) on these babies and VERY LOW Power(electrical) so maybe apples going to plug in a twin turbo charger on this baby and crank it to dual 3ghz!!@$!@

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by Shrek

Now you're really pushing it. C'mon dude. Think positive. We still got that IBM Power4 right around the corner. :)

Comon think real not different for a sec, we have no chance of catching them in the next 2-3 years

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Shrek

Now you're really pushing it. C'mon dude. Think positive. We still got that IBM Power4 right around the corner. :)

That IBM "Power4" is still vaporware until I see Apple advertising a 2GHz PowerMac. I love to think positively, but lately Apple has made me rethink that position. They're slipping farther behind, so I'll give them a year and a half to get their act together. If they do it in less time, then I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by mac15

Comon think real not different for a sec, we have no chance of catching them in the next 2-3 years

Originally posted by Hemingray

That IBM "Power4" is still vaporware until I see Apple advertising a 2GHz PowerMac. I love to think positively, but lately Apple has made me rethink that position. They're slipping farther behind, so I'll give them a year and a half to get their act together. If they do it in less time, then I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

You guys are really trying to get my nerves rushing now, aren't you?

WELL, IT'S NOT WORKING!!!

Attachments

• mad.gif
    mad.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 180

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I dont care about G4, G5 or P4s. All I want is a Mac to be as fast as a PC in games at similar price points. For example a $800 PC will outperform a $1500 iMac in games. I was so fed up with the situation that I went and got a 2Ghz gaming PC for $750. I now find I use my $2500 G4 Mac even less, even though it is only 6months older than the PC. This is because the Pc is so much faster than the Mac at everything except photoshop. The problems is that Apple never makes their computers as fast as they could be because they did to have room for improvements if Moto does not produce new cpus. For example Apple could make it's current G4 towers a lot faster by adding PC400 DDR ram adding faster graphics as standard. If a computer like the iMac is non upgradable then it needs to have top of the range parts in it so it does not go out of date so quickely. But Apple does this so we will keep on upgrading.

It is funny that in the past peoples problem with apple was that there was not enough software. Now that is not the case, Apples problems is the machine are not fast enough and go out of date too quickley. If they solve this problem a lot more people will buy Apple.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
if only ......

If i could get a power4 chip at say ... 2-2.5Ghz then i would sell my house, and my parents to get it. But if i had to do that then would it be a good deal, no.

If apple were to do the following we may get our market share back:

1. Use a power4 chip in all macs

2. Set up the pm series as follows;
2a)2x1.7Ghz - same price as 2x867Mhz
2b)2x2Ghz - same price as 2x1Ghz
2c)2x2.5Ghz - same price as 2x1.25Ghz
2d)(new)2x3Ghz OR 4x2.5Ghz(preferably) - on same price scale

3. Make iChat work with MSN aswell

4. Give Appleworks with all Power Mac purchases for those of us who used our last $$$ on the actual mac

Do that and we will dominate. No, i repeat, NO, consumer PC can go quad. It would KICK, let alone quad 64bit. If you aren't drooling now or at leats wtering at the thought of one of those then go to the "I pretend to support macs" forum.

What a dream, if only .......

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
appleworks isnt included with powermacs? :eek: for ppl who spend a TONNE of money (atleast its alottttt of money up here in canada) on the powermac, apple should might as well give away appleworks for free to powermac users as a thank you...but for now (till when the offer expires), the adobe indesign offer will have to do (for free stuff)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.